Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Motion blur  (Read 10238 times)

charlesmeryon

Motion blur
« on: July 10, 2010, 01:35:35 pm »

That seems a detail but this is VERY important for immersive effect because there is always motion blur in the real life.
So, don't forget it! ;)

Congratulations for this incredible engine.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Motion blur
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 04:21:58 am »

I am not quite ready to back you up 100% on this. I mean . If something moves across your screen fast enough it will appear blurry just from the lack-luster refresh rates of modern displays. Most motion blur in current games is just there to hide bad frame rates in an environment that is moving very quickly. I would file this next to lens-flare and everything in modern games being shiny.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

David Pemberton

Motion blur
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 07:16:00 am »

Personally I think motion blur should be a part of modern games.

As humans viewing a scene there are two moving parts, your eyes, and your head. When you spin around to look at something, your eyes lead the way, moving faster than your head, which prevents you from having blurred vision.

In a game, your eyes are stationary and fixed in your head, so motion blur is a good way of exaggerating movement.

I guess it depends whether you are trying to show the scene through the eyes of a human, or on a TV screen. I doubt if a game shown from the perspective of human eyes, with all the seeking and searching that eyes do all the time, would be possible, or indeed playable. Most people view sports such as racing, or footage from an aeroplane, on a TV screen (which naturally does have motion blur), so to include motion blur in a game is completely realistic.

If it's done well, I think motion blur can be a valuable addition to the visuals of a game.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Motion blur
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 11:11:53 am »

I personally think motion blur should be incorporated, but care will have to be taken to ensure that the effect is not overdone.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!