Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: It's not so easy to build roads  (Read 8550 times)

Sam

• nearby
It's not so easy to build roads
« on: March 22, 2012, 04:32:56 pm »

I got a slumping  ::)
Resident of Outerra

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: It's not so easy to build roads
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 05:18:24 pm »

Don't move one road point too far from other. Normally, additional points are automatically inserted when you make a long segment, but they are not inserted automatically when you move the point and make a long segment that way.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:47:17 pm »

Yeah I though that might be the case, though I haven't had to move one very far myself.  It probably should.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:17:08 pm »

I was experimenting like crazy yesterday. Had this issues too. Just place more points.

These setting seem to work well. http://s5.postimage.org/py7ljxcc5/outerra_2012_03_22_04_36_39_60.png

Here are some tests with the largest roads possible.
http://s5.postimage.org/67fde22lx/outerra_2012_03_22_04_14_51_46.png
http://s5.postimage.org/s41weffsl/outerra_2012_03_22_04_19_07_37.png
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Sam

• nearby
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 02:41:28 am »

Okay, thanks @all.
But with this small road points my reach of a curve looks like a snake. I have no pics not just yet. I will show you that this evening.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:44:04 am by Sam »
Resident of Outerra

lonewulf47

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 01:05:47 pm »

I see the requirement of enhancements of the road tool. Apart from some more different road types (2-3 lanes highways) I would recommend:

- a tool to smoothen curves between two distinct points -> you select two points and the curve will be smoothened between those either with a constant radius or with a hyperbolic function

- a second tool to create roundabouts

-  a third tool to connect roads with a variable fillet radius

Jagerbomber

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 01:23:22 pm »

i definitely agree.  I particularly want the first one if it's doable.  The curves cornering like it does now can be a bit ugly without a lot of adjustment, which is currently not very easy since we can't add/remove points between points yet. 
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

XZS

• Outerra Supporter!
    • LBQ3TS - French Youtube Poop
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 01:48:59 pm »

Apart from some more different road types (2-3 lanes highways)

A set of differents kind of road type from differents countries would be nice.
USA highway:
but European (or at least french) highway :

And I guess the list goes on, for Asian highway, Australian Highway, ...
Burn a book, save a tree.
LBQ3TS - French Youtube Poop

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 03:54:37 am »

A set of differents kind of road type from differents countries would be nice.
And I guess the list goes on, for Asian highway, Australian Highway, ...

Maybe an adding tool for diferent surface types like for planed modell integration tool ? ... maybe just adding another road, just whyte an different surface-structure, and the comunity would make in the future an certain number of roads/sidewalks/city-surfaces ... i mean, there certainly is a possability to make an road of this kinds from future developers :
http://urobsisam.topky.sk/UserFiles/Image/zahrada/okrasna-zahrada/zakladame-chodniky-v-zahrade-673/102-wienerberger-big-image.jpg
http://zilina-gallery.sk/galleries/Vystavba_v_Ziline/Obytny_subor_Amfiteater/xAmfiteater_2349.jpg
http://www.odkazprestarostu.sk/_data/_media_images/79e468b166e391a71e49e0a6d9ab920d863dd31c.jpg
... so an simpler and faster way of creating implementing them would be an good thing too, like whyte wehicles and buildings ...

... or an addition to the road tool - change of road-lines collors and types, maybe even an asphalt collor and errosion variability. That could be even an better way of making some differences.

P.S.: ... cloud there be an crossing addition in the future ? ... i mean, you would like an T-type road crossing, or you take another road to some of the main ones waypoints and it would make it an crossing :
 - changing the O-symbol of the waypoint to an T- symbol (an X for 4-road crossing and so on ...),
 - making an corner-edge smoothing between them whyte an variable edge diameter,
 - having just an simple right-clic option do detach the road crossing to cancel it,
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:56:46 am by PytonPago »
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Foxiol

• Gamer
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 04:19:27 am »

That would be great. Also i am planning to make if not all a great amount of tracks from the entire planet. And also it would be great to add the possibility to make curves in angle like in OVAL Tracks or something like that.  ;D

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:38:19 am by Foxiol »