Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Ships  (Read 11933 times)

GoSpeed

Ships
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:22:23 pm »

We already have land vehicles and aircraft. Are there going to be ships too? Powered vessels and sailing ships?

Luishi5k0

Re: Ships
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:27:44 pm »

That will be a bit later down the road. First the important things have to be dealt with. Things such as crashes/ bugs/ basic biomes/ and map accuracy.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 01:07:51 am »

You can spawn the model of a ship but water physics have yet to be enabled. Which is why the 8x8 is a submarine!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Red Ocktober

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 10:54:45 am »

hi there... new to the forums...

a few questions...

i'm making a submarine sim 

and i was wondering if this engine would be suitable to such a project...

so far i've had to develop the environment (ocean, sky, clouds, weather) within the limited capabilities of the engine i'm using now, and it looks like Outerra provides a far better environment background... 

is underwater  terrain modeled?
is there any weather?
what model ofrmats work?
how much is the license and what types of licenses are available?

thx in advance... great looking stuff you guys have come up with here :)

--Mike

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 12:04:00 pm »

There's a global underwater terrain modeled using 1km base data, refined further by fractals.
There's no weather yet.
We are using Collada for models.
There's no licensing available yet, the engine currently cannot be used as it doesn't contain APIs or SDK for developers to work with. But we plan an indie-friendly license, once the development progresses and it becomes available.

Red Ocktober

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 12:45:27 pm »

thx for the quick reply... will be keeping an eye on development...

--Mike

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 07:02:25 am »

hi there... new to the forums...

i'm making a submarine sim

Nice work! ... What is your goal? ... an SilentHunter-type sim just (like the modell looks like) in modern or cold-war age ? ... if yes, than i would like to se an Akula type sub. Or at least an ICBM launch capability build in, if you liked:   (from 0:46 min).
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

PRiME

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 07:16:39 pm »

Looks very early WWII subs, or pre WWII even. Which is probably the most fun as modern subs are just, select target, press fire, target dead, wait for next target, repeat. :)

Bartolomeus

• VirtualTechArt Design
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 04:50:55 am »

Hey Mike,

welcome here ;) . I think Outerra would be a great engine for Subsim or / and Ship Simulators based games. Because Outerra includes the entire earth.

Marko

PytonPago

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 05:09:50 am »

Looks very early WWII subs, or pre WWII even. Which is probably the most fun as modern subs are just, select target, press fire, target dead, wait for next target, repeat. :)

Well, not if you would hawe to set all the things that are needed for it in an cold-war sub (Would need an soviet sub-commander and an good gameplay-manual for all the cirilic letters) : P ... + an WII way of getting the torpedoe into the tubes. :P
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

Red Ocktober

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 09:42:44 am »

thx for therereplies guys...

@Bartolomeus
Hey Marko... good to see you here... yeah, i'm looking at this as an option for follow on versions...  most of the (environment) work is done for this one...

@PytonPago
for a better description of the game plan, see here -> http://www.commanders-academy.com/forum/showthread.php?47518-Latest-Development&p=52028#post52028

@Prime
the sim starts in early cold war... post WWII... also, the challenge in modern sub sims is the detection and prosecution of an unseen enemy who's also out there silently hunting you...  and avoiding being detected... i want to convey this immersive element in the sim...

again... thx for following the thread...

--Mike

PytonPago

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 02:12:57 am »

@PytonPago
for a better description of the game plan, see here -> http://www.commanders-academy.com/forum/showthread.php?47518-Latest-Development&p=52028#post52028

Thanks, will be throwing an eye on your work ....