Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: While we are discussing road editing...  (Read 5211 times)

lonewulf47

While we are discussing road editing...
« on: March 29, 2012, 02:25:43 am »

... it seems reasonable to me that we should think about a final set of editing tools, also concerning runways and taxiways:

- curvature tool: select either two points and smoothen the turn between them, either linearly on exponentially
- straighten tool: select either two points ans straighten the roand between them
- elevation tool: select either two points and either make the road following the terrain or straighten it (in terms of elevation only)
- closing tool: select the endpoints of a road (distance between them TBD) and close the  road
- cutting tool: selection any two consecutive points of a road and break the road between them
- connecting tool: select the endpoints of two different roads (distance between TBD) and connect them (should be preferably possible even between roads of a different nature e.g. asphalt and dirt road)
- intersecting tool: selecte the endpoint of one road and any point of a second road and connect them (minimum angle TBD), forming fillets of a defined radius, thus adjusting to the elevation and the slant of the intersected road (should be preferably possible even between roads of a different nature e.g. asphalt and dirt road)

None of the altered points should be labelled in any way but remain freely alterable within any of the tool's capabilities thereafter

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: While we are discussing road editing...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 02:37:38 am »

I would like some way to either overlay the google maps image over the terrain or even better (and easier) to basically fullscreen the google maps and just trace the road tool right over the screen, over existing roads. 

Also I think a paint mode so you can just drag your mouse cursor around a map/the ground and it will automatically place points for a road in a smooth and fast fashion. Possibly even relative to the speed of the mouse. (Faster mouse less points, slow mouse more points)

The option to see the length of the selected road or "selection" of the road. Assuming you can in the future select a section of road to re-texture or widen instead of point by point.

More road "accessories" like short stone walls or guardrails. Would be awesome if guardrails could automatically be placed only on parts of a road that the fall from the road was high enough. I am sure that is do-able. {Looking at you angrypig}

Complete adjust ability of road building controls and binds. I would like a more natural flying around without such rigid stops. Even just a 0.3333 MS of coasting to a stop instead of fully digital stops can make such a difference.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 03:24:31 am »

I would like some way to either overlay the google maps image over the terrain or even better (and easier) to basically fullscreen the google maps and just trace the road tool right over the screen, over existing roads. 

Also I think a paint mode so you can just drag your mouse cursor around a map/the ground and it will automatically place points for a road in a smooth and fast fashion. Possibly even relative to the speed of the mouse. (Faster mouse less points, slow mouse more points)

The option to see the length of the selected road or "selection" of the road. Assuming you can in the future select a section of road to re-texture or widen instead of point by point.

More road "accessories" like short stone walls or guardrails. Would be awesome if guardrails could automatically be placed only on parts of a road that the fall from the road was high enough. I am sure that is do-able. {Looking at you angrypig}

Complete adjust ability of road building controls and binds. I would like a more natural flying around without such rigid stops. Even just a 0.3333 MS of coasting to a stop instead of fully digital stops can make such a difference.

Make an transparency option for the google map + an interesting button function - "mapview" - witch would give you an view from the correct height and position as your map is showing. So you could make the map half/fullscreen, while in outerra editing, getting to the view as the map has and place the roads just by following them on the map.
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 04:24:24 am »

Well since OT can combine the map location with your in-game location (Blue Arrow) I see no reason to even see the 3D world when laying down a road based on the google map of it. You can just click on the photo of the road and move the yellow highlighted sections to match it perfectly. When you are done.. You click make, close the map and see what happened. Making roads based on nothing would be the same, old clicky system that we have now.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 04:55:52 am »

Actually, Google (or specifically its map data licenses) prevents us from using Google Maps to extract map and navigation data. We cannot actively support it.
Should be allowed with OSM though, as long as the road data we produce can have the same license as OSM data.

With OSM we can also import the data directly, avoiding the manual intermediate step, but it will take some time.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 02:43:01 pm »

Well we wouldn't be extracting any data. Just tracing the roads on the 2d map to have them placed on the 3D world.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 03:37:11 pm »

That's considered using someones maps to create other maps or navigation data that you could (eventually) sell and thus compete with the original map provider, which doesn't want you to. Obviously, maps for OT won't probably be used back in real world, but maybe the companies would want to sell maps/navdata in OT one day? Improbable, but still ... and lawyers rule the world.