Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Suggestions for licenseing the Engine  (Read 9498 times)

Benjamin385

Suggestions for licenseing the Engine
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:02:52 pm »

To be honest This engine looks epic just to say the least.

But I would not mind Licensing out the Engine now and Receive updates down the road in terms of the Combat System, Particle System, Multi-player, Etc.

I am Suggesting the idea of a Early Adopter Program where people can Support the Game Engine in Return for a Indie game license when the Engine is nearing completion or Beta.

This is only a thought and is up to the Developers of the Engine.

But personally I License this engine with out hesitation.

~ Ben
Activision needs my Ideas - They have been making the same game for 6 years now

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 03:54:27 am »

Well just now you'd not be able to do anything with it. There's no true API defined to interface with, so you'd basically get a demo like everyone else (when one comes out).

But there's yet another thing. We are creating the engine to make our games with it, and we aren't much interested in licensing it right and left because the consequent support would kill our own plans easily. We are willing to work with teams that are both compatible with our work (requiring no huge features off the road) and want to use the engine mainly as a world renderer, i.e. those who have their own combat system and multiplayer code and such as we don't have the capacity nor will to make a universal engine like UDK or Unigine or whatever. Our engine is quite specialized and if we will want to reach wider developer masses we'll make a unified platform where the developers will be able to write plugins for specialized simulators or game play code and provide game assets. The platform code would care for content delivery and synchronization etc.  It will be possible to have multiple plugins from different developers in one world at once with seamless switching between them, that kind of thing.

Anyway this is still far off, I'd advise to stay tuned until we resolve all these things (and other not mentioned options we have) :)

tasmanet

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 11:41:34 am »

Quote from: Benjamin385
To be honest This engine looks epic just to say the least.

But I would not mind Licensing out the Engine now and Receive updates down the road in terms of the Combat System, Particle System, Multi-player, Etc.

I am Suggesting the idea of a Early Adopter Program where people can Support the Game Engine in Return for a Indie game license when the Engine is nearing completion or Beta.

This is only a thought and is up to the Developers of the Engine.

But personally I License this engine with out hesitation.

~ Ben

Ben

On a long term project like this why would they licence this to you ??

Are you willing to put up a large amount of money as security

Do you know what a business  plan is.

Have you ever constructed a major Airport for say FS

etc etc etc

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 11:59:23 am »

Quote from: tasmanet
Have you ever constructed a major Airport for say FS
I think he meant using the engine for a different purpose than a simulator.
Note that the engine is not specific to simulators, there are many people wishing to use it for a different purpose (global RTS games, a Civilization-like games, global FPS games ..).

Even we didn't consider it initially for simulators due to large amount of work and rather demanding user base, only now there's a possible model of how it could work, as we are talking about it in a different section of the forum. Even so, as a precursor to that we want to have many things tuned out by licensing (and supporting) it to some makers of combat simulators and other segments (even non-game ones).