Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Avatars  (Read 11483 times)

John_L

« on: March 26, 2012, 06:32:28 pm »

Are there going to be avatars possible in this game?

PTTG

• The following post is procedurally generated:
Re: Avatars
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 06:48:07 pm »

What?

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 07:44:17 pm »

I'm hoping he's talking avatars as in customizable characters and not avatars from Avatar.  :P
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:08:35 pm by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

John_L

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 07:52:10 pm »

Yeah, I mean avatars as in 3 dimensional, walking characters, not blue aliens, unless, of course, you want to be one, or a human looking character, or an animal.

PTTG

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 01:43:00 am »

There's a very basic implementation (press "8" on your keyboard to jump into control of a dude), but a customized player character is ultimately a game design problem, not an engine issue. The biggest question is if skeletal modeling and very fine facial-feature-scale textures will make it in.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 02:54:36 am »

I would be happy with just something like a customizable flag or livery that you can put all over your stuff.

Like Cobra Kai!

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

mctash

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 03:53:51 pm »

Lol Zeos, I'll just leave this here for you

John_L

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 06:09:20 pm »

There's a very basic implementation (press "8" on your keyboard to jump into control of a dude), but a customized player character is ultimately a game design problem, not an engine issue. The biggest question is if skeletal modeling and very fine facial-feature-scale textures will make it in.

So, at this point in time, the plan is for procedural textures only, no bitmaps at all? 

PTTG

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 06:25:47 pm »

There are bitmap textures already. I'm just not sure if they're going to put as much effort into making people look good as they are on terrain.

John_L

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 06:38:36 pm »

Well, it's definitely a cool engine overall, really great procedural generation for sure, very realistic looking.  Flew up into space, which is cool, but I've been into Orbiter for quite a few years now and spaceflight is nothing new, and very much developed as it's specifically a spaceflight simulator.  There's some things to be learned there as Outera seems to have provisioned for multi planet support which is great.  There will need to be some time warping active for true spaceflight if the distances are going to be accurate as I don't quite have 3 days for trips to the moon (lol).  Orbiter includes time warping so travel time can be cut down.  10x 100x 1000x 10,000x and 100,000x time warping enables solar system travel within a sitting, and everything I've seen so far in the demo looks really good, kudos to the developers.  I hope they put serious consideration into rigging avatar meshes so characters can walk around.  I've also been into Second Life for 5+ years, and think it would be great to have that ability here as well.  Either way though, great job to all the developers.  The engine runs quite well on my p4 4g machine with an NVidia GTX 570.  I'm impressed and although I'm not sure how much I'll be involved, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on things here to see what develops.