Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: creating runways  (Read 5874 times)

lonewulf47

creating runways
« on: March 31, 2012, 07:05:10 am »

The present tool creates only "one-way" runways. In more than 90% of all cases runways are more or less symmetric i.e. the order "threshold, distance marker, aiming point," should be valid for both ends. Of course it is still possible to create the mentioned items on the other end too but the disadvantage of this method is that we have to correct the length of each segment concerned. It would be great to have a RWY creation tool which accounts for symmetry. It would also be very helpful if a runway could be created between two distinct points rather than from the present position into the view direction.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:08:06 am by lonewulf47 »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: creating runways
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 07:16:46 am »

That should not be a problem. When making the runway tool I just went to gather some info about the markings and all, studied the rules, but I'm no expert at all.

lonewulf47

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 07:34:26 am »

Sounds great ! there are actually a million of varieties on runway markings however a few general rules are laid down in the relevant ICAO document 8168. Whenever you might want to modify the runway tool just call in here and I'll try to get you a copy of these.

daumkraft

• Newbee
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 10:59:58 am »

You can use this markup: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/Runway_diagram.svg
If it is easy — it is possible to add runway number. Number of a runway depends it its rounded course / 10. For example the runway with a course 089 will have number 09. If there is more than one runway at one course, they are marked as L (left) R (right) (if more than two, also C (center))

Whether runway lights are planned?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 02:34:42 pm by daumkraft »
Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.0 GHz
3.25Gb RAM (because 32bit OS Win 7)
GeForce 8800GTX (296.10)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 01:05:11 pm »

Runway numbers and additional marking will be done in additional vector marking overlay, the road system isn't suitable for that.

Lights once the lighting system is in place, needs some changes to the rendering pipeline.

Fabo.sk

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 07:23:40 pm »

cameni get in touch with me when/if you make any advanced runway creation rules. I have studied those rules quite a bit for airport scenery development.