Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: how far will procedural generators go  (Read 7658 times)

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
how far will procedural generators go
« on: April 21, 2012, 11:13:30 pm »

A question for the devs,

To what extent will the generators go in terms of generating things like animals, and what about bridges, and other objects?

I know this is primarily a human construction but looking forward, will these sorts of placements be available?
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: how far will procedural generators go
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 03:35:01 am »

Procedural generators can be used for many things; one would probably not use it for animals except when making a Spore-like game.
The definition what is procedural and what's not is not that clear though. In many cases the generators aren't so much generators but rather simple repeaters. Some things are simpler to model and instance than to generate, especially if it's not the focus (flowers, for example). But then they would be procedurally distributed, so ...

But yes, things like buildings, bridges, railway tracks, road barriers .. all procedurally controlled.

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
Re: how far will procedural generators go
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 03:50:48 am »

Ok thanks. What I was thinking was that placing animals Luke horses, sheep, cows, etc... Would just make the environment more believable. If they could be randomly placed on, say, paddocks, this would be pretty cool. But I know this is not on the top million things to do just an interest. I suppose if the "repeater" could do this then 3rd party devs could include specific objects from a library based on the context.
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?