Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Fjords in Norway with water.  (Read 10261 times)

SpaceFlight

Fjords in Norway with water.
« on: April 01, 2012, 06:35:31 am »

Today I was flying over Norway in ufo mode, when I saw that some fjords have water in them. It was quite a bit away from the ocean.
I thought this was interesting as rivers are not in yet and they looked just like it.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:40:49 am by SpaceFlight »
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

Sam

• nearby
Re: Fjords in Norway with water.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 08:47:57 am »

The first impression, how lakes can be in outerra.  8)

And yes, hare Krishna.   ;)
Resident of Outerra

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 12:00:20 pm »

It's because everywhere below sea level in Outerra at the moment is under water.  That's why.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

SpaceFlight

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 12:11:04 pm »

It's because everywhere below sea level in Outerra at the moment is under water.  That's why.

Yeah, I thought so too, but it could be a glimpse in to how implemented rivers and lakes might look like later. I had not come across something like this before.
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 03:32:14 pm »

I was zooming over new york state in Flight mode and passed a river many MANY miles from the sea. It too had water but I was going so fast I couldn't find it again.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PaTrond

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 08:31:41 am »

Hmm.. Sadly not sure what fjord that is, but it reminds me of Sognefjorden, Norway's deepest/ longest fjord. Anyway. What Norwgian fjords looks like in general, including Sognefjorden: 1 - 2 - 3 PS: It's a fjord called Nordfjord, my "home fjord", an area I live in in the summer. :P And sorry I can't help keeping myself from promoting our landscape. xD

Those pictures might be a good guidance for biomes. But it also shows clouds getting caught by the mountain, making it rain quite often, filling lakes, which again makes rivers. Could clouds be programmed to affect the this? Well, the coding for making rivers will be a quite difficult thing, I guess. If rivers were made by looking for fjord formations or similar, Grand Canyon would be one huge river... The team behind the engine has already come a long way, though, so why not longer.  :) In quite near future, all *water will be particles anyway, making enough rain create rivers:

*Demo is done with Nvidia's PhysX, realtime.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:33:27 am by PaTrond »

talon2000uk

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 12:48:49 pm »

Yeah they look really cool. Also Fjord land in New Zealand looks great in the game too. I spend hours flying around there. :D

seppen

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 11:30:16 am »

Hmm.. Sadly not sure what fjord that is, but it reminds me of Sognefjorden, Norway's deepest/ longest fjord. Anyway. What Norwgian fjords looks like in general, including Sognefjorden: 1 - 2 - 3 PS: It's a fjord called Nordfjord, my "home fjord", an area I live in in the summer. :P And sorry I can't help keeping myself from promoting our landscape. xD

Those pictures might be a good guidance for biomes. But it also shows clouds getting caught by the mountain, making it rain quite often, filling lakes, which again makes rivers. Could clouds be programmed to affect the this? Well, the coding for making rivers will be a quite difficult thing, I guess. If rivers were made by looking for fjord formations or similar, Grand Canyon would be one huge river... The team behind the engine has already come a long way, though, so why not longer.  :) In quite near future, all *water will be particles anyway, making enough rain create rivers:

*Demo is done with Nvidia's PhysX, realtime.

Fellow Norwegian :)
Never seen that demo, big waves/stormy weather, I love that.

New Zealand has some fantastic fiords too, and Lidar data of great detail open to the public, Norwegian gov should be ashamed for not doing the same.