Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Diesel Shunter  (Read 25849 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Diesel Shunter
« on: July 14, 2010, 11:04:30 am »

There's a new vehicle model available in the engine, thanks to _michal who provided it:

It really begs for adding rails support, hopefully we'll manage it in some form before the demo.
Until then it will serve as a nice scenery object, but at least we should put it on a track segment.

henrikthg

Diesel Shunter
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 10:11:53 pm »

nice..
What I would like to see is an super high detailed model.. very very high poly count and all the different textures that the engine support. just to see how true to life the model can be and for Outerra to test there engine, optimize for models!!
Maybe a city or complete airport.. With all the bells and whistle !!!!

Would be nice to know the frame rate ! Can someone please provide Outerra the models for this test *S*

Henrik

MatthewS

Diesel Shunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 03:02:17 am »

Excellent looking model!

Is Outerra self shadowing the model?  Looks great.  

Also will shadows from external objects (eg buildings) cast inside the train cabs or aircraft cockpits?  

It would be very nice to be taxiing to the active runway in the late afternoon and have shadows of terminals and other aircraft cast into the cockpit of my aircraft!

Also... what about lights from other objects illuminating other objects and inside the cockpit. For example, if I'm parked at the gate at night and my aircraft is being serviced by ground vehicles will I see their lights illuminate my aircraft?

FSX lacks a bit in the lighting department.   Outerra's lighting already looks amazing but adding shadow/light effects from other objects would be the icing on the cake!

Not to mention cloud shadows!  Omg you have to add cloud shadows that lighten/darken depending on how thick the cloud layer is or the time of day.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Diesel Shunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 03:40:47 am »

The shadows work universally, albeit terrain itself doesn't cast shadows (temporarily).

Here, shadow from the high building cast into the cab:

Lighting from multiple light sources, especially for the darker scenes,  will be done with so called deferred lighting, that will allow these effects in an easier way.

petitfilou

Diesel Shunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 04:30:54 am »

That looks great!!  for the demo, will we be able to jump from one vehicle to the other?

....like driving the truck to the cessna, jump out and walk to the plane (simple ground camera) then fly to a railtrack where we could take the train for a spin.

Then you could have a world reset key in case you lose one of the vehicles.   ;o)

That would showcase the versatility of the engine quite well...

cheers.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Diesel Shunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 04:49:33 am »

Jumping from one vehicle to another is implemented already, switching the controls to given type upon entering. Default (outside of a vehicle) controls are handled by a UFO controller that allows for free movement up to the space, but the maximal speed depends on height above terrain.

You can also insert multiple vehicles into the world and enter any one you want to use.

MatthewS

Diesel Shunter
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 05:36:29 am »

Those shadows look excellent!  Good lighting really makes a sim immersive!

In can be "fun" sometimes in FSX to just sit at the gate in your aircraft and watch the AI planes do their thing whilst you setup a long flight (align IRS, flight planning, refuelling, boarding etc).   Shadows/lights in cockpit from external sources would be amazing and help convince the player they are in a dynamic world.

The UFO (free cam) controller sounds nice, but also could you have a "person" controller with camera say 6ft above ground level and ability to walk/run.  I guess it's just a more constrained version of the UFO controller.

Michal

• http://blog.blockhouse-c.com
Diesel Shunter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 05:40:55 am »

What I'd love to see is accelerated video of night-day cycle when you enable terrain realtime shadows. Somewhere in the mountans of course :)

Shunter looks good in Outerra, love selfshadowing.

petitfilou

Diesel Shunter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 06:03:02 am »

Yer, that'd be nice to have in the demo....   change the time of day on the fly, with maybe a slider or something.   Seeing the shadows stretch, stars appearing,  etc.   ;)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Diesel Shunter
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 06:08:43 am »

Quote from: MatthewS
The UFO (free cam) controller sounds nice, but also could you have a "person" controller with camera say 6ft above ground level and ability to walk/run.  I guess it's just a more constrained version of the UFO controller.
Yes it can be a constraint in the UFO controller, it kind of works even now by aiming the mouse a little below the horizon so it keeps the camera on the ground.
 The minimum height above terrain can be set, currently it's 0.15m, makes for a nice insect-style views when "landing" on the runways this way :)

Edding3000

Diesel Shunter
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 01:40:28 pm »

This is looking nicer every day. One question: I noticed tree billboards not shadowing on the ground. Temporary also i hope?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Diesel Shunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 01:55:33 pm »

Quote from: Edding3000
This is looking nicer every day. One question: I noticed tree billboards not shadowing on the ground. Temporary also i hope?
Yes, both terrain self-shadowing and shadowing by trees. Tree models would cast shadows even now, but for performance reasons we will probably use tree images (billboards) for shadow casting by default.

Edding3000

Diesel Shunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 05:17:42 pm »

Quote from: cameni
Quote from: Edding3000
...but for performance reasons we will probably use tree images (billboards) for shadow casting by default.
interesting approach! so instead of real casting you would just project it onto the floor/screen? No clue how to do that tough :P. But probably you guys will.