Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: The "Outerra Challenges" Thread  (Read 7588 times)

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
The "Outerra Challenges" Thread
« on: April 10, 2012, 02:05:02 am »

Inspired by another game, I present to you the Outerra Challenges thread.  Rules: Submit a challenge to Outerra testers that can be accomplished.

Since the early days of Outerra, I've been fascinated by the stars, trying to pick out constellations and individual stars, such as Betelgeuse.

Challenge 1: Find the Orion constellation in Outerra from the ground.  You'll need to be in darkness (duh).  Take 1 screenshot of the location, and then modify the screenshot and paint in (either with Photoshop, MS Paint, or other graphics program) the constellation lines.

Although I've found a decent candidate, it's not perfect, so I'm still looking.  I think I found the Pleaides (if you can find THAT, it should give you an indication of where Orion is).

Winner is the first person to post the above requirements, which can then be verified.

*Edit 2* Useless Orion Constellation Fact: By around 14k AD, Orion will no longer be visible from Great Britain due to the Earth's precession ;)

Challenge 2: Recreate a small city block (any city) with accuracy, using Google Maps.  Since buildings are still very basic, use judicious placement of existing buildings to approximate real life builds (ie, if the "skyscraper" in Outerra isn't wide enough, make it wider by placing two so that they clip each other).  Don't be afraid to experiment placing buildings or objects on top of one another (I once create a "Super Hangar" by placing 3 of them so that they clipped one another).

Challenge 3: Using Google maps, recreate Area 51 (Groom Lake, Nevada) ;)

*Edit* Video of any of the challenges gets bonus points!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:13:08 am by C. Shawn Smith »
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Jagerbomber

Re: The "Outerra Challenges" Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 05:22:25 pm »

Challenge 2: Recreate a small city block (any city) with accuracy, using Google Maps.  Since buildings are still very basic, use judicious placement of existing buildings to approximate real life builds (ie, if the "skyscraper" in Outerra isn't wide enough, make it wider by placing two so that they clip each other).  Don't be afraid to experiment placing buildings or objects on top of one another (I once create a "Super Hangar" by placing 3 of them so that they clipped one another).

I'll beat that though I feel it will take a couple years..., partially because the current status of Outerra of course, not to mention the huge amount of work - I've been working on creating my hometown since I started in what... October I think?  Still laying out the first draft of the roads...  ::)  I also have a lot less time on my hands now.  :'(
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 05:50:27 am »

I'll beat that though I feel it will take a couple years..., partially because the current status of Outerra of course, not to mention the huge amount of work - I've been working on creating my hometown since I started in what... October I think?  Still laying out the first draft of the roads...  ::)  I also have a lot less time on my hands now.  :'(

Yeah, I admit that challenge is a bit of a doozy, but that's why I contained it to one city block (and added Area 51 as an alternative in challenge 3).  I've done some preliminary work on #3, but didn't like the results, so started fresh.  Going to be attempting it again here in the next week or so.  The massive hangars are going to be a B**CH to replicate, since they're more than twice the width, height, and length of the Outerra hangars.  Trying to come up with a unique pattern to take it into account though, but I don't see that as currently possible, without a custom model.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

PTTG

• The following post is procedurally generated:
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 11:31:39 am »

>Pick a major road and copy it for at least 100 miles.