Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Any Way to Scale Mountain Height?  (Read 3830 times)

Morcrist

Any Way to Scale Mountain Height?
« on: April 01, 2012, 11:34:28 pm »

I scanned through the .cfg files and didn't see anything. Is there any way to scale the height data in the game? It would be really handy to say, set a .cfg variable to 2.0 and have all terrain heights in the game doubled for example.

Take care.

Jagerbomber

Re: Any Way to Scale Mountain Height?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 01:10:35 am »

No, but what's the reason why you want to do this?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 02:49:37 am »

Google earth has/had this function. I don't think it would work in Outerra without completely redoing the dataset. Lower your FOV and try again. High FOV flattens huge mountains to 2" tall lumps on your screen.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Morcrist

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:26:52 am »

No, but what's the reason why you want to do this?
I would think it would be obvious! :) To experiment with what it would be like to have flatter terrain, and to see what it would be like to have harsher more steeper terrain.

Quote from: ZeosPantera
Google earth has/had this function. I don't think it would work in Outerra without completely redoing the dataset. Lower your FOV and try again. High FOV flattens huge mountains to 2" tall lumps on your screen.
Yes, I've used it in Google Earth. It made contrasting mountain/valleys MUCH easier when I bumped up the scale.

Why would you have to redo the dataset? You would be keeping the same dataset just scaling the points. Mountains and hills would get flatter if you scaled it below 1.0, and higher if you went above 1.0, for example.

I hear what you're saying about FOV. I've experimented with different settings. But the contrast I'm looking for is much higher than simple FOV changes.

Anyway, just a thought. I've always believed that more options = more gameplay opportunities = more product longevity. I.e., if there are more knobs and dials to turn we'll be playing a lot longer. :P

Take care.