Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Couple of questions about this project.  (Read 15722 times)

jespergb

Couple of questions about this project.
« on: July 15, 2010, 04:20:04 pm »

First i'd say the videos looks AMAZING! For flightsimulator use it would be a thrill to fly!

But i'm a bit confused about the project of what it really is, so maybe someone can help me out:

1. Is the idea to sell it someday to a gaming company as a ground engine?
2. Or is it thought to be a new "flight simulator"
3. How "far" is this project before a demo or release? Are we talking years or months before the public can try this?

About the engine:

1.  Will it have weatherengine with clouds/thunderstorms/rain snow etc. And seasonable textures/depiction - and maybe even build up of snow while its falling?

2. Will it have motionblur to propellers?

3. Will it have realistic planes? with not only a base physics

4. Will it have radio communication like FSX has

5. Will it have ILS landing features? and more real life flying systems?

Enough for now ;)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 05:29:36 pm »

Hi,

In the first place Outerra is a game engine, that we want to use in our projects as well as license to other game companies. It's not a new flight simulator, but read on.
A playable demo with a few vehicles should be released as soon as ATI OpenGL 3.3 drivers are fixed (we are working with AMD on this) or workarounds are found. But meanwhile we are adding more content and tools so the demo will be richer.

One possible project using this engine is a global simulator platform, being discussed in a separate forum section.

[list=1]
  • Yes, we will probably integrate a 3rd party library like SimulWeather for the job.
    There will be seasonable textures and vegetation as well, and build up of snow will be possible too thanks to the architecture.[/*]
  • Notice the propeller [/*]
  • Realistic planes - not sure what means the base physics here; we are using JSBSim for flight dynamics and as I understand the flight physics there is as good as the model data tables are. Anyway, whatever different physics will be left on addon makers (talking about the sim project here)[/*]
4,5 are totally specific to a flight simulator, but if the platform will get to see the light of day, it will support creating such modules as addons, if the functionality won't be included by default.

jespergb

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 03:04:28 am »

SimulWeather - GOOD choice - looks absolutely outstanding. BIG thumbs up for doing this project!

What i meant about realism was not only physics and handling but also system-wise like wings controlled by hydraulics and not just a "move flaps-up"-code. And a battery in plane that has to work to make gauges function. Oil level and so on.

jespergb

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 03:11:55 am »

By the way - have you tried to contact AEROSOFT - they work on a new flight simulator. They fits so great with your project. A collaboration between aerosoft and you would be outstanding!

Aerosoft has ALOT of airports, citys, world objects etc etc already modelled. Also a lot of airplanes - working on an extremely goodlooking airbus at the moment - so do consider contacting them ;)

http://en.shop.aerosoft.com/eshop.php?action=home&shopfilter_category=Flight+Simulation&s_design=DEFAULT

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com

jespergb

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 04:51:33 am »

Ok i see. Then i hope your other maybe company Will do a deal with u ;)

MatthewS

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 05:15:13 am »

Quote from: cameni
  • Yes, we will probably integrate a 3rd party library like SimulWeather for the job.
    There will be seasonable textures and vegetation as well, and build up of snow will be possible too thanks to the architecture.[/*]
SimulWeather looks great, especially those overcasts and thunderstorms!

Do you know how far SimulWeather can render distant clouds? It would be a great achievement in the flight simming world to see overcast extending out to the horizon (say 120nm) below the aircraft when flying at high altitude say FL330.  Also to see distant cold fronts or large anvils extending to say 60k feet!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 05:25:40 am »

From our communication, regarding another project:
A few of our customers use a spherical global co-ordinate system, though we’ve not done anything special in this regard. A Simul cloud volume typically covers an area between 20x20km and 400x400km, depending on whether the cloud data is wrapped horizontally. Non-wrapping clouds need to cover a larger area in order to meet the horizon. In the former case, the viewer’s location could be used to determine a general set of cloud properties, while in the latter, geo-specific cloud data can be acquired from the satellite image. The mapping from a spherical system to the cloud grid and vice-versa can be handled in various ways, again depending on whether you want precisely geo-specific clouds or a more generic appearance.

henrikthg

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 05:59:14 am »

First hope that AMD/ATI soon can fix openGL drivers...
Nice to see SimulWeather might come to Outerra.. As said in another post the Atmosphere is very important and can make or break a flightsimulator.  
There is no "forum" at simulweather so will ask here.
How does simul render rain  ?? Not seen in any of the simul-videos.  Is the cloud calculated based on temp, pressure ect. ?
How will this handle real world data.. Like importing Metar/TAF ?
Guess the Visibility is done by the Outerran engine ?

Henrik

corona

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 06:33:01 am »

Wow, that SimulWeather stuff is very impressive. I really hope you can integrate it. Just hope it  doesn't take 2 cores at 100% on its own. Did you experiment with it yet?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 10:22:51 am »

Quote from: henrikthg
How does simul render rain  ?? Not seen in any of the simul-videos.  Is the cloud calculated based on temp, pressure ect. ?
How will this handle real world data.. Like importing Metar/TAF ?
Guess the Visibility is done by the Outerran engine ?
We didn't evaluate it yet but I talked a bit with the guy.

I didn't see the rain there either, but I suppose this will be handled by us anyway.
Clouds are random but he said there's also a possibility to use real weather data. It doesn't calculate the clouds, but if there's possibility to use the real data, there will be no need to.
Visibility is currently handled by us, but he's got a better model. I don't know yet which parts will be used, it's not that straightforward.