Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ideas for People  (Read 47106 times)

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Ideas for People
« on: July 15, 2010, 04:23:08 pm »

Given that Outerra will eventually be used in games which have people in them, it would be wise, IMHO, to create playable humans in the engine and give them basic functionality.  At the least, they should be able to walk around and crew the vehicles already available.

This topic is where anyone can make suggestions as to what people we can put in.  Feel free to make suggestions! =D
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

MatthewS

Ideas for People
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 06:14:09 pm »

It would be good if "crowds" could be simulated with low fps hit.  I'm thinking low poly models so that airports, train stations, city streets etc could be populated with people.

I know Outerra is OpenGL based and not DirectX.   Does OpenGL support hardware instancing of objects such as tree, building and people models?  It would seem this is a way populate the world with thousands of objects and still have high FPS.

angrypig

Ideas for People
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 08:18:20 am »

Quote from: MatthewS
I know Outerra is OpenGL based and not DirectX.   Does OpenGL support hardware instancing of objects such as tree, building and people models?  It would seem this is a way populate the world with thousands of objects and still have high FPS.

Yes OpenGL supports hardware instancing, it supports every HW feature as DirectX and a few more which are specific for ATI or Nvidia cards. But instancing is not a universal cure, in scenes filled with lots of objects you are still limited to polygon count/vertex count/bandwidth. When you make a barrel with 200 faces and instance it in a scene one thousand times you are still creating scene with 200 000 faces... We are already using HW instancing in Outerra, but under OpenGL it's not such big difference because OpenGL is more effective in this area.

McArcher

Ideas for People
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 05:28:55 pm »

I want to add about playable human characters.
Apart from nice looking models and animations, the most important moment is interraction with the environment. What do I mean? In many games, embarking and disembarking vehicles is made simplified - no process is shown and in many games you cannot act when sitting inside of vehicles of other objects.

I want playable humans to be able to, for example, jump and walk inside of transport airplane, shoot from weapons sitting in truck's back, get inside vehicles using programmed animations for each vehicle, not just teleporting to driver's position, hit objects with weapons or hands if collision detected, not just penetrating the walls. Also sitting on the armored vehicles is a great examaple of this. This thing is used in some armies of the world to make disembarking rapid, to get extra capacity or to have doubled defence and more chances to survive from mines.

People must be able to carry objects (on thei back, in hands, on their suits, or can change their uniform). Several models of different body types can be made and a lot of addtional addon objects will be weared on them... Would be nice... Also many faces can be made to choose from.

P.S. I'm for OpenGL as a crossplatform engine, it will bring people from different OSes and will make engine really universal.

Chrischn

Ideas for People
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 10:05:13 am »

As soon as I read the word "crowd" I remembered instantly a video I saw on YouTube.

It is called Kynapse AI and is made specifically to simulate large groups of moving AIs.

Would be awesome if Outerra would be at least compatible to this. I´m no game developer so I dont even know if these to branches of simulation even have the slightest thing to do with each other...  I just wanted to spread the word for no reason  :D

Grind and Click

Ideas for People
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 08:29:43 am »

Yeah im guessing if you were to render 100+ player models it would start to bog down alot?

This is just me trying to imagine this engine in an MMO.

alasmattano

Ideas for People
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 03:45:26 am »

how many polygons (max) do you need in the human poly model?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Ideas for People
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 04:03:13 am »

Provided there's a reasonable LOD and batching implementation, large amount of models is not such a problem. It's simpler than trees. Simulating them all could be a problem, depending on the AI and script performance.

krz9000

Ideas for People
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 05:19:52 am »

outerra seems to be set to become a great sandbox in the way minecraft works..but instead of crafting the environment the goal could be filling it with realworld content. the game could be that players get achievements for verifying or adding content that comes in for e.g. openstreetmap, or content that is modeled, animation loops that are added to an animation database that outerra can connect to and so on. giving objects physical attributes,...this could be the creative part of the "game". next you can give "players" the option to create a lobby and this lobby will create an "instance" of the world they can be playing in (an instance like in world of warcraft). they can play around with objects or vehicles and create their own adventures. the "mod-community" could create scripts and custom objects that act as gamedesign elements...e.g. a flagpole object that is connected to a gui element. and voila you can have a capture the flag game. all this ideas come from playing minecraft but i think outerra can take the same direction but with the goal to crowd-source the content creation. the more data-sources it can connect to the better. i think it would be premature to develop ONE game with it. i think the engine would benefit more from a creating stable modtools instead. these mods could be then implemented once they are considered beneficial for the bigger goal of outerra

SpaceFlight

Ideas for People
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 01:38:41 pm »

Quote from: krz9000
outerra seems to be set to become a great sandbox in the way minecraft works..but instead of crafting the environment the goal could be filling it with realworld content. the game could be that players get achievements for verifying or adding content that comes in for e.g. openstreetmap, or content that is modeled, animation loops that are added to an animation database that outerra can connect to and so on. giving objects physical attributes,...this could be the creative part of the "game". next you can give "players" the option to create a lobby and this lobby will create an "instance" of the world they can be playing in (an instance like in world of warcraft). they can play around with objects or vehicles and create their own adventures. the "mod-community" could create scripts and custom objects that act as gamedesign elements...e.g. a flagpole object that is connected to a gui element. and voila you can have a capture the flag game. all this ideas come from playing minecraft but i think outerra can take the same direction but with the goal to crowd-source the content creation. the more data-sources it can connect to the better. i think it would be premature to develop ONE game with it. i think the engine would benefit more from a creating stable modtools instead. these mods could be then implemented once they are considered beneficial for the bigger goal of outerra

You mean like instances and mod tools first and then later on, when the tools are functional enough,
a game in a persistent world, with some of the approved mods?

I think the content contribution system you describe sounds great. But packaged as a game?
I wonder if a preview function of some sort for the content created would do the same job?

But why would it be premature to make a game?
I am guessing that it would be highly upgradeable and the development of modding tools and mods could still be done once the OT game is open for business so to speak.
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

s0beit

Ideas for People
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 12:28:41 pm »

Quote from: SpaceFlight
I think the content contribution system you describe sounds great. But packaged as a game?

Ever heard of garry's mod? It's quite fun. People (given the userbase) definitely could contribute content to keep the game going and even be awarded free subscription time, points or things of that nature.

The real problem is deciding who approves what, imagine if somebody approves a very non-real-life flying pizza plane, lol, see that thing flying around at mach 5.

SpaceFlight

Ideas for People
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 12:51:49 pm »

Quote from: s0beit
Quote from: SpaceFlight

Ever heard of garry's mod? It's quite fun. People (given the userbase) definitely could contribute content to keep the game going and even be awarded free subscription time, points or things of that nature.

The real problem is deciding who approves what, imagine if somebody approves a very non-real-life flying pizza plane, lol, see that thing flying around at mach 5.

Never tried garry´s mod.

Mmmh, pizza.  :D

I would think that ultimately the developers of the game, or people assigned by them, would decide what to approve and what not.
Should for example a gamestudio (provided OT will be licensed) decide to open up their game for modifications of some sort, they could choose what kind of mods would fit into the theme of the game.
"You see, Killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them, until they reached their limit and shut down."
Zapp Brannigan

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Ideas for People
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 02:46:29 pm »

the scripting in gmod is a terrible example of a good system. Yes things like wire and precision alignment are excellent tools but for every 1 good and helpful tool there are literally 1,000 horrible mingy ones.

A more complex modding process involving modeling and scripting such as with addons for racing sims would be better as less people are capable of doing it and with less coming out there is more likelyhood of something being inspected and included.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

zuluknob

Re: Ideas for People
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 11:25:13 pm »

whatever the people look like i think one of the most important things is the animation. motion capture would be the way to go and there are now cheap systems using kinect to capture. also a system like havok cloth would be nice.
Windows 10 Pro
Amd fx-8350
2x Amd r9 280x
16gig ram
Hisense 58" 4k3D TV
blah blah blah...

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Re: Ideas for People
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 02:54:28 am »

whatever the people look like i think one of the most important things is the animation. motion capture would be the way to go and there are now cheap systems using kinect to capture. also a system like havok cloth would be nice.

In-house, Cameni and Angrypig have already obtained (I think) a few MoCaps for animations ;)  We just need a reliable skeleton for (what was originally designated Jose Jalapino) the current model.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)
Pages: [1] 2