Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Trim only works one way  (Read 5776 times)

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
Trim only works one way
« on: April 06, 2012, 08:28:28 am »

Hi again guys,

Just a little more feedback, I am noticing that there is only one movement for the trim on the Cessna. The trim option under Plane only works for trimming for nose down pitch and not nose up pitch. Is this a shortfall of the alpha in it's current state or should this be working for the nose down and nose up pitch trim.

Thanks in advance,

Kelvin
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Trim only works one way
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 02:41:08 pm »

I'm not a dedicated flight simmer but I think this is why I find it so hard to fly the Appache.

Is trim just a settable one time press or should I be using an analog input like a throttle quadrant?
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

lonewulf47

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 03:29:42 am »

I have been mentioning this already in another thread that current "trim" is not useable at all. To be compatible with future developments trim should be defined for all three axes rudder, aileron and elevator. I strongly suggest(ed) to use two distinctive button commands for each axis rather than an analogue input as the latter may or may not play havoc on a future autopilot integration. IMHO button commanded inputs with adjustable sensitivity would suit best.

Spudly

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 03:32:57 am »

I think you need to use a dpad or something... My xbox controller works both ways using the dpad on that.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 04:05:24 am »

perhaps a single analog input with multiple modifier keys.. So hold CTRL.. Adjust rudder, hold Shift.. Adjust aileron and so on. Could also have a different key that would just trim to the current R,A and E as you set manually. So once you get it flying strait and level you press a key and you can relax all your physical control adjustments back to 0
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

lonewulf47

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 09:34:21 am »

Uhmm no, that's not how trim works on an airplane!  :) I think we should consider a later serious development of an aircraft simulation. Trim is a dynamic process. Every change in power, speed etc. requires retrim. The amount of retrim however is aircraft specific. Each trim axis must be accessible anytime. An autopilot will take care of elevator trim when engaged but will not deal with aileron and rudder trim at all.