Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Guys, are you willing to tell us about your economic results?  (Read 13760 times)

Derelict83

• Not all those who wander are always lost...
    • http://www.rufinoherrera.com

Cameni, Angrypig and all the big family, I hope nobody gets offended if I ask this question, but, in a very broad sense, are you happy with the number of licenses sold? are the 'numbers' going well? Do you think you would be able to hire some guys to help you in the developing process, and show us advances in the engine more quickly? In the 'Notch-order-of-magnitude/scale-of success', in which stage do you think you are? ;) I really really wish the best for this plataform, but IMHO, I wouldn't be honest if I say that you don't seem to need more hands helping you :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:20:30 pm by Rufino Herrera García »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Guys, are you willing to tell us about your economic results?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 05:07:50 pm »

I bet if all the licenses were tallied for OT it wouldn't meet 1/4 of notch's best single day sales. Not even close.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 04:07:35 am »

There were nearly 1000 licenses sold in the first month. I don't know what sales Minecraft had after the first release, but given that there's little to do in Anteworld vs. the tech demo in its current state, I was actually surprised we have got that many. Because at the moment it's mostly about people supporting us and further development, rather than playing.

Comparison to Minecraft wouldn't be entirely fair in the long run. Initially, the hardware requirements decimate the possible crowd, but ultimately OT is mainly about the technology for many types of games and simulators.

Apart from the Anteworld we are working on several more fronts, and we'll be definitely expanding in the near future. I remember when I was a student at our technical university, browsing through various job offers on the notice boards; now is the time to head back there to return the paper stripes back :)
If I was back at school, I would be definitely attracted, but there are hardly any C++ programmers being produced these days. Even during my times there the usable programmers weren't so much coming from the CS department, but from departments like Automation where people were coding microcontrollers and had to be effective with the CPU time and memory. We'll see ...

[deleted]

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 07:57:56 am »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:21:50 pm by secret1962 »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 09:09:20 am »

What do you mean "as a module"? Anteworld *is* a game on Outerra engine, it will have its own gameplay and all. Does it confuse you that it does not have any gameplay elements yet? It was released in pre-alpha state to let people experience the OT technology now, to show how it works and performs, to pull it out of vaporware category. Though still going to be a game in itself, it currently comes with (and will maintain) the basics of sandbox mode and tools that allow people toying with OT functionality that's being developed.

We are grateful to all people who supported us by buying the Anteworld, because that allows us to continue working on the technology and ultimately to deliver it as a platform for other games and simulators. Anteworld is going to lay down the basis for it, and it's supposed to evolve into it.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 09:23:56 am »

That's why I am actually waiting and didn't buy yet. I really don't understand.

I can explain this.

You are paying for Version 0 of a "game" built in the Outerra engine. No matter how long it takes to complete, once you support the authors you get to run around naked, screaming through all the builds and addons and feature implementations for as long as this particular "game" is developed.

Besides, it is $15. Not $100. I am sure eventually I will be throwing another account or two up for friends and family as gifts in the future.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Derelict83

• Not all those who wander are always lost...
    • http://www.rufinoherrera.com
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 06:25:57 pm »

There were nearly 1000 licenses sold in the first month. I don't know what sales Minecraft had after the first release, but given that there's little to do in Anteworld vs. the tech demo in its current state, I was actually surprised we have got that many. (...) Apart from the Anteworld we are working on several more fronts, and we'll be definitely expanding in the near future. I remember when I was a student at our technical university, browsing through various job offers on the notice boards; now is the time to head back there to return the paper stripes back :)

I'm very happy to hear that ;D

I am sure eventually I will be throwing another account or two up for friends and family as gifts in the future.

I could say the same :)

Sam

• nearby
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 12:37:43 pm »

I am sure eventually I will be throwing another account or two up for friends and family as gifts in the future.

I could say the same :)
Me too!  ;)

I think, Outerra it's the wrong place for freeware gamers. Evereyone of us spend a bit from his heart's blood for Outerra and the developers - crew. Anteworld are not a simple game, no, it's a tool for enthusiasts!
Resident of Outerra

Foxiol

• Gamer
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 12:20:56 pm »

The "scary" part of buying a game engine/game (not finished yet) in this case is something that i don´t understand at all...lol

In my mind it was simple...one guy in rFactornews.com (because i play rFactor and this is a site from Spain) found this and showed it to the community. I like all game engines and have some installed on my PC (just for having fun and mess with them -Cryengine for example) but i always wanted something like Outerra (a huge open world with almost no limitation where you can do whatever you want in it)  and was just love at first sight.

To me the product just sold itself. And why not support this in the process? I think it was and still is a good idea. Without us these kind of things will never happen or just will be forgiven or cancelled. And for us (gamers) who want that games evolve for the better is like giving the back to the opportunity.

So, pay (15$ is not the end of the world) and say thanks in advance. ;)   

Cole

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 05:22:49 am »

$15 000 dollars earnt! Great job guys!

zajacisko

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 10:37:50 am »

...in the first month :) It will be the same hype as it was with Minecraft when it was in alpha, It's just a matter of time.