Outerra Engine > Development screen shots and videos

Snow

(1/4) > >>

cameni:
Just a quick and dirty hack to the terrain material system to make it like there was a snow on the mountains.

The snow covers the surface if it is flatter than a critical slope, whereas the critical slope depends also on the elevation. This way the transition to lower altitudes looks better, although it still needs some tuning.

corona:
Wow, just awesome.

However, they all look very..."hazy". Was it just a hazy day or is there something else going on? Also, does snow have depths? Not sure how to explain what I mean.

petitfilou:
Works really well for a 'dirty' hack. ;)

Will it be possible to have the truck leave tracks in the snow?  like the dirt tracks effect, carved into the terrain.

I can't imagine how this engine will look once all components are put into place, together.  Quite amazing.

cameni:

--- Quote from: corona ---They all look very..."hazy". Was it just a hazy day or is there something else going on? Also, does snow have depths? Not sure how to explain what I mean.
--- End quote ---
Hazy .. weird, people always said we have it too clear. But I've been adjusting some atmospheric parameters recently, so maybe that causes it. It also depends on altitude and time of day.

Here, two screen shots with markings of what's visible, this one from 7,000m (~23,000ft):

This one from 20,000m (65,617ft):

Snow currently does not have depth, but it will be possible, also with vehicles leaving temporary tracks.

corona:
I don't mean the far away stuff, that looks fine. I guess a better way to put it is, the forground is too hazy in relationship to the background IMO.

So for instance in this picture:
http://www.outerra.com/shots/k298.jpg
In this shot the foreground is .... I dont know what it is, but my first thought was that it was haze.
Perhaps its the shadows and its just a misfortunate shot. But here...

http://www.outerra.com/shots/k299.jpg
The Peak in the forground (best seen on the right portion) already seems to be .... well hazed....like there is a semitransparent layer on top of it. Yet the mountain looks to be very near, so haze would only be seen if there was real fog or a very hazy day. But if that were the case, then the background should be completely invisible. The fading/hazing out of the mountains in the background looks absolutely fantastic. This is all just my personal optinion of course.

Again, thnx for posting these, loving it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version