Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Use OpenStreetMap data to create roads, streets, highways, etc in Outerra?  (Read 11811 times)

jeffmorris

Is it possible to use OpenStreetMap or GoogleMap data to create roads, streets, highways, etc in Outerra? What about buildings?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Use OpenStreetMap data to create roads, streets, highways, etc in Outerra?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:35:29 am »

We plan to test OSM data. It will need some transformation, and some additional support to be able to handle every road type.
OSM could also provide the data for vegetation, polygonal areas defining what's where, specifically usable for human-made changes.

However, OSM data don't come with all meta attributes we will need, for example it would be useful if the buildings also had heights defined, because the ground projection alone does not suffice.

Karamich

• Outerra Fan

I agree with you Cameni on some missing attributes but can for example the OSM data be used coupled with landclass data to estimate population density therefore city or village aspects?

Also what about a sort of "brush" tool in Outerra editor where one can visualy with the brush (that can be set to different sizes and pressure) and from a zoom out on a data generated city, paint the height by reducing or increasing buildings under the brush passage? Also the brush could be set to change buildings types under its passage too?

That can be useful when we have photos of a city and we can visualy make the city look close to reality using the brush tool :)

Just a thought!

Michel
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:24:15 am by Karamich »
The best thing after flying is landing

Orswell

I really want to support this idea and tell you, Cameni that you should let us, the users, "shoot ourselves in the foot" more when it comes to experimenting with importing GIS data. We'll always be missing some data and have to rely on developers to make it up to look cool.

I have extensive experience importing GIS data into FSX and I wouldn't expect to be able to import osm data directly without editing / scripting changes in a GIS tool first. Thanks!

andyeder

Just a heads-up... speaking from experience, using GIS data can be a legal minefield. Even OSM data with it's very liberal CC SA 2.0 licence can have a significant impact on what you can and can't do with the data. From an enthusiast / hobbyist point-of-view having support for OSM would be awesome. From a commercial point-of-view, there are several hurdles that your legal team would need to look into - such as ensuring any derivative works are released under the same license, etc.

That said, support for Shapefiles and other popular GIS data formats would be very welcome I'm sure. :D

mcvitus

Re: Use OpenStreetMap data to create roads, streets, highways, etc in Outerra?
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 05:15:30 pm »

Hi guys! Any news about this topic?