Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: ATI HD 6630M not supported?  (Read 5865 times)

Tinytacohead

ATI HD 6630M not supported?
« on: April 29, 2012, 03:36:07 pm »

Hi all,

Total n00b here.  I remember running into Outerra back in its extreme infancy & being intrigued.  I'm currently away from home, so limited to my ultraportable, and was hoping to check it out, though it seems my video card isn't supported?  As stated, I'm on ATI HD 6630M hardware with 1Gb dedicated & figured surely it'd have enough grunt, at least on lower settings?  So far it's played any other game/software I've thrown at it, and quite well.  Please help, I'm in the hospital & bored to tears!!!  As always, thanks in advance.  :)

~Tiny

EDIT - Oh yea, here's the Fatal error message I receive upon launch attempt: (my drivers are up to date)
"Your ATI graphics driver is too old and the application won't run with it.  Please update to the latest graphic drivers"
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:42:01 pm by Tinytacohead »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: ATI HD 6630M not supported?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 03:50:39 pm »

That's a problem of AMD driver installer - it doesn't update the OpenGL drivers, and doesn't warn you about it, making it look like it was our fault. It's best to use driver sweeper to clean up the old files before installing the latest drivers. Alternatively you could manually delete all occurrences of atioglxx.dll and atio6axx.dll files in windows directory and run the AMD driver installer again.

Tinytacohead

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 03:58:18 pm »

That's a problem of AMD driver installer - it doesn't update the OpenGL drivers, and doesn't warn you about it, making it look like it was our fault..

Ok thanks, I'll give it a shot.  I'm really not a fan of AMD drivers/cards at all, but it's what came in the best all around ultraportable for me @ the time..  (I may be back with more questions  :-[ :P)

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:17:20 am »

please Be aware that driver sweeper at Guru3D is No More available at the link provided by Cameni

this is Guru3D's note on their page:
" Attention - Guru3D Driver Sweeper has been discontinued as such you will not find any download links here any longer.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 10:24:41 am »

True, didn't notice that. Here's the link to a new version: http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/Version-3-2-0/

foxfiles

• Reality is merely an illusion
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:38:12 am »

Genial, lots of thanks for the link update
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - A. Einstein

Tinytacohead

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 02:47:37 pm »

Thanks for the info guys, and yeah, I was kinda surprised to see the program gone.  Wound up snagging DriverCleaner Pro instead & ran into a whole new can of worms when, thanks to Sony's whack VIAO Care or whatever, I couldn't get video drivers reinstalled.  Being in the hospital I just said F-it & quit putting effort into it.  I'm now home & on my monster desktop though, so time to resume!  Maybe I'll now have the patience to figure out wtf Sony requires, to get video drivers back on the laptop as well, heh.  (what really needs to happen is for me to completely wipe the system & do a fresh OS, but yea)