Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: River bugs  (Read 15937 times)

Peca

• Outerra fan
River bugs
« on: March 26, 2016, 09:51:32 am »

The river glitch I think is somehow created from waves on sea:
http://imgur.com/UjnxYSc

Another thing I discovered are stones or something in sea, where it should be nothing, because the sea is deep there. It is visible only from certain distance:
http://imgur.com/W3vMEIM vs. closer look http://imgur.com/AsgQlmd

Thanks for the new version, bugs are small and the overall look is great :-)

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
Re: River bugs
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 09:58:52 am »

Some blending issues ...

We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

PytonPago

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 11:35:21 am »

Another problem at a sea in Turkey ... probably got it wrong on the width but not sure how the global data was vectorized ... here the water ends a few meters from the bank and about 200 meters away there is some bad blending :

We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

HiFlyer

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 11:44:08 am »

The Grand Canyon is awesome, but there is some serious strangeness happening around New York NY.  :o

Not a biggie, I think we all expect teething pains with something this ambitious.  8)

Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

PytonPago

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 11:50:45 am »

And some funny cutting. :D

Not really a problem but is kinda funny.  ::)

Jagerbomber

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 06:57:38 pm »

The Grand Canyon is awesome, but there is some serious strangeness happening around New York NY.  :o

Not a biggie, I think we all expect teething pains with something this ambitious.  8)

Same thing happens with the river near me.  It's the OSM river data overlapping with sea-level water.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

SteelRat

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 10:37:49 am »

Excellent!

This is normal?

2eyed

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 11:14:44 am »

Excellent!

This is normal?
This is what we got :D
Try to place the US Coast Guard there. Quite unexpected behaviour I would say.

HiFlyer

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 11:24:14 am »

Excellent!

This is normal?
This is what we got :D
Try to place the US Coast Guard there. Quite unexpected behaviour I would say.

The thing is, making the water translucent and 3D probably makes things a lot harder for the devs. Something like FSX probably is a lot simpler to do when the water is essentially flat and opaque with zero actual depth.

Add in uneven world OSM coverage/accuracy and you have a recipe for a headache............  :o
Spex: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series Dual-Channel Ram / ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / Windows 10 Pro

HiFlyer

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 09:03:32 am »

Referring a question from Reddit: Strange problem near the Tigris river, Water Mask not extending to the actual shore. (looks odd)

Also the water itself pops up at a very close range. Is it possible for a user to extend the visible range of water and roads to at least ten miles? (or more)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:05:45 am by HiFlyer »

PytonPago

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 10:33:22 am »

One little thing i noticed ... some river-starts/ends end not well blended to the surrounding terrain - there are few that, if the river-end/start point i a little higher than the normal terrain keep the water-surface rectangle, that is hanging after it for blending in, is hanging or in a direction abowe the terrain after the river end/start point.

As it looks the tool has just defined terrain-alteration at 90 degrees from the river-vector ... (kinda like the roads) you plan something special for the ends in the future ?

Also, if runways/roads are placed in the riwers way ... terrain adjusts, but the water-surface texture remains ... kinda funny when it floats a half-meter abowe a road and then continues on afterwards. :D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:38:56 am by PytonPago »

HiFlyer

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 11:26:29 am »

One little thing i noticed ... some river-starts/ends end not well blended to the surrounding terrain - there are few that, if the river-end/start point i a little higher than the normal terrain keep the water-surface rectangle, that is hanging after it for blending in, is hanging or in a direction abowe the terrain after the river end/start point.

As it looks the tool has just defined terrain-alteration at 90 degrees from the river-vector ... (kinda like the roads) you plan something special for the ends in the future ?

Also, if runways/roads are placed in the riwers way ... terrain adjusts, but the water-surface texture remains ... kinda funny when it floats a half-meter abowe a road and then continues on afterwards. :D

It all makes me appreciate even more how complicated it is, what they are trying to do......... (and the fact that they will never be able to do it all themselves. Users will need tools to make local fixes, eventually.)

HiFlyer

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 08:52:44 am »

The new dataset still seems to have had little impact on defining accurate shorelines. Are there any theories about how to finally address this?

josem75

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2016, 02:06:25 pm »

The new dataset still seems to have had little impact on defining accurate shorelines. Are there any theories about how to finally address this?

How flight simulators fix that? I remember something about masks for shorelines. 
Would not be posible use the map lines for define the sea limit everywhere? That way, water would not be trespassing terrain above those lines. NO matter the heigh (now water sea is always there bellow zero meter).

I am seeing something rare.  If i push G and switch between m,ap and satelite, sometimes the map is not matching with the satelite.. 
For example, some shorelines are farther in map than in satelite. And this case outerra was following satelite lines. So for this reason the river end is making that tailpiece, because osm lines are folowing the map lines.

You can test that in some coast lines and rivers with G key and ESC, so you can zoom in the map and switch betwen the two modes.
I dont know which lines are fine.  I also saw that in some rivers inside. This explain why some little rivers in the mountains cut big rocks formations. Sometimes those rivers was supposed to be in the valley.  If they move some meters they cut the rocks.

Its rare because i though those maps had total accuracy. Then they dont have or something is wrong between those maps?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 02:09:45 pm by josem75 »

HiFlyer

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 05:10:54 pm »

I noticed some of the same things, giving me the impression that many rivers were off by a few meters. Also, many river sections "miss" each other, and the ends, instead of joining cleanly, are mismatched sometimes horizontally, sometimes vertically, sometimes both.

I was just flying to different areas of the world and exploring such places, when I saw Josem75's post, and it seems a common occurrence.

Also sharp bends in rivers tend to cause land artifacts/errors. (just like roads can)

It will be interesting to see how this changes as the various problems are addressed and the data refined.
Pages: [1] 2 3