Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 51

Author Topic: Graphics driver issues, startup problems (32 bit)  (Read 509492 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Graphics driver issues, startup problems (32 bit)
« on: March 03, 2012, 10:32:12 am »

Graphics card issues
ATI/AMD

Outerra requires at least 12.1 Catalyst drivers, the earliest ones that worked were 11.11 but they still had some serious stability issues. For the best result please use the 13.12 drivers, otherwise certain functionality may be even disabled - you'll get a warning about that.

Error or warning: Your graphics card drivers are too old or outdated
Download and install the latest AMD drivers for your operating system. If you have a mobility card, it's best to look for the mobility drivers from AMD, or from Guru3D.

Beware that AMD driver installer sometimes doesn't install the drivers properly, especially when you have applied a hotfix or some beta drivers before. It often won't install the newest drivers, even though nothing indicates it didn't.
If you are getting the warning about outdated drivers even after installing the newest drivers, please do the following:
Crashing on start, glitches, performance issues
Please follow the procedure above to ensure clean drivers and cleanup of old registry entries. Improperly installed drivers were often seen to be the cause of these problems.
If the problem persists, please also see the Black screen, crash on startup or various graphics issues section below.

Some beta drivers are known to have issues - for example, 13.8 beta and 13.10 beta drivers are known to cause severe performance degradation.

Problems on ATI 4000 series - terrain glitches, driver crashes
Support for ATI 4000 (and older series) cards was officially discontinued by AMD while the OpenGL drivers were still buggy. Since there's little we can do about it, support for these cards was discontinued in Outerra as well.

Program doesn't load on laptops with switchable graphics, detects Intel instead
Graphics card not identified. If assigning the proper profile in the control panel doesn't work (looks like it applies to DirectX only), you have to select the ATI card in the BIOS.
After this works you will need the latest drivers, that may not be available for your laptop from the manufacturer. You may consider looking for mobility drivers directly from AMD, or from Guru3D.

Nvidia

You'll need recent drivers on Nvidia as well, you'll get a warning if your drivers are older than 301.42.

If you have an integrated graphics chip together with the discrete graphics, you may need to assign a correct profile for outerra.exe so it can run with Nvidia drivers instead of the integrated (usually Intel) chip. It should be somewhere in context menu when right-clicking on the exe, or in Nvidia control panel.

If it doesn't work, you probably have an old graphics driver. Go to Nvidia and download a recent graphics driver for your card.

Intel

Only Intel Ivy Bridge and newer chipsets support OpenGL 3.3+, which is a requirement to run Outerra. You need driver version 10.18.10.3379 or newer.

Other graphics cards

For any other chips you'll get a warning about unknown/untested manufacturer, and the app will fail if the drivers do not support OpenGL 3.3+.

Black screen, crash on startup or various graphics issues

Black screen and eventually a crash on startup may occur when you have certain software running that interferes with OpenGL applications. Unfortunately there's little we can do about it as it's a driver issue, or an issue with these apps not handling OpenGL apps correctly. Software known to cause these issues:
- Bitdefender (exclude outerra.exe from checking it)
- Comodo "I'll be back!"
- EVGA Precission
- MSI Afterburner

Graphics problems:
- Steam
- Lenovo Veriface

You can find the list of software programs that inject into outerra.exe in the eng.log file (see below how to locate it), search for "injected modules". If you have problems and there are programs listed there, please try to shut them down and run Outerra again.

Operating systems

Windows XP (32bit)
Windows XP is not officially supported, but there's still a limited support. Because of a lower and fixed limit on available system memory for GPU transfers on 32-bit Windows XP you may encounter a not-enough memory problem. In this case please close all other apps, especially browsers and other apps that consume a lot of NP (non-paged) memory as shown in the Task Manager.

Reporting problems

If the above didn't help, please report the problem by providing information about the issue and your system. It's best to attach the eng.log file that is generated by outerra.exe.

The eng.log file can be found in your Outerra data directory where you specified it during the installation. If you used the default path, the eng.log will be in:
Windows Vista/7/8:  c:\users\<yourname>\outerra\eng.log
Windows XP:              c:\Documents and Settings\<yourname>\outerra\eng.log

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 11:27:14 am by cameni »

Jarro

Re: Graphics driver issues
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 04:56:39 pm »

oh noes thanks for the tips but the outdated drivers warning is just impenetrable. None of ways you or someone else described works at least for me. Its not an OpenGL problem I think is it ? [ATI Radeon 4800 Series in my case]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:16:33 pm by Jarro »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 05:18:49 pm »

Can you physically check the versions of atioglxx.dll and atio6axx.dll you have in your system?

Jarro

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 05:42:34 pm »

khm windows says that the version of atioglxx.dll is 6.14.10.11399
If it isnt the needed version then where can I get the right one ?
Root deinstalling(with Windows, with Driver Sweeper or ATI tools) of the drivers (atioglxx.dll was removed completely too) and the updating to the latest drivers is the result.
But I haven't got atio6axx.dll only ati2dexx.dll and some others .dll files with ati2ev- prefix.
Thanks for the support.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 05:50:11 pm »

6.14.10.11399 is the right one. Is it the only one atioglxx.dll you have got there? And please attach your eng.log

Jarro

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 05:54:49 pm »

I'm afraid I do not understand what does eng.log mean..? Is it a log file ? Where is it ?
And yes it is the only .dll with 'ogl' in system32 folder.
_ _ _ _
update
oh sorry please it works now :) The problem was in placing THE OLD atioglxx.dll version in the Anteworld folder for getting it work before I have TOTALLY reinstalled the driver. Now I replaced the old version with a new and it works ! Sorry for such a mess.
So the answer is to manually delete the driver and put the newest one just as you said ! I had some problems with installing so it messed up with all of that.
Sorry for putting up a confusion delete our talk if so !
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:02:33 pm by Jarro »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 05:59:46 pm »

eng.log is file produced by outerra.exe. It's generated in your data directory, by default it's your home dir \outerra\eng.log

tre999

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 06:06:43 pm »

I've been investigating about my problem and nowadays it is impossible to run outerra in my PC. This is because Optimus software doesn't work as it should, it doesn't allow to execute outerra under Nvidia graphic card instead the onboard graphics.

There are a lot of people around of internet with the same problem in other games.

I don't know if you developers could do something to fix this problem and force to use nvidia cards on systems with onboard graphics.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 06:13:57 pm »

Latest version of outerra.exe generates the Nvidia profile automatically, to simplify the process. But when it doesn't work anyway, it means that the drivers simply ignore the profiles for some cards. I'd suggest to report this problem to Nvidia customer support; there is nothing we can do to force it from the application's code (when the profiles don't work). Maybe it doesn't work specifically for OpenGL, you should mention that.

Mikel_S

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 02:18:22 am »

I know how to do this, but I'm drawing a serious blank...  How do I find my current driver version.  I have a GTX285, btw, so I guess I fall into the "problems on all 2xx series cards" category.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 02:27:34 am »

In Nvidia control panel, there's system info in the about menu or somewhere there (can't check right now, I'm on ATI).
But yes, we are hunting for a 285 or a 260 card among our friends, because there's definitely some issue specific to that. Not sure if the firsthand experience is going to help, it seems to be a random driver issue and finding what causes it is going to be tiresome :(

Mikel_S

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 09:28:58 pm »

Is there any sort of log that would be generated by a Kernel failure that I could provide?  I dunno, but Kernel failures seem kind of...  Hardcore?

Just a note:  As of yet, the crash I've gotten has ONLY EVER happened while driving, and almost always seems to correlate with the engine sound loops, in one way or another.  Be it when I'm revving up the first time, or at a very small, nearly imperceptible catch as a constant sound loops or changes to the next frequency.  It is capable of happening while paused (ie: hit escape), but again, has only ever happened while in driving mode.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:30:39 pm by Mikel_S »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 01:08:18 am »

They should be in system log somewhere, and you'll probably have a minidump file generated that can be debugged. From the log or the dump one could find out what module causes the crash, what driver it is.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 04:13:39 am »

AMD 12.2 drivers are out, people with AMD graphics please test these and report. Mainly interested to know if the random driver crashes when flying towards or above the water were fixed or not.

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 04:35:02 am »

going
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 51