Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Rock created when elevating terrain that is not near any rock  (Read 2436 times)

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
Rock created when elevating terrain that is not near any rock
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:00:44 am »

One thing I have noticed, Cameni, is rock appearing (see here: http://i.minus.com/iLpGrPDfBKaix.jpg on the right hand side) when there is no rock just grass when elevating terrain. Shouldn't the terrain match the surrounding terrain when elevating terrain like this? or is this intended to be like it is?

Cheers,

Kelvin
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Rock created when elevating terrain that is not near any rock
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 01:35:27 am »

It's intentional, although technically not always right.

There's a thing called angle of repose that sets the steepest angle a granular material can hold before it slides. It's also valid for dirt and even rock subjected to erosion over longer periods of time.
If you make a slope that's steeper than some constant angle of repose for dirt, a rock is put there, as if to explain why such slope can hold. It's not always right because
  • vegetation alters the angle of repose, roots can hold dirt together better
  • for artificial slopes created on the road sides one would usually place concrete blocks that prevent the dirt from sliding onto the road

However, until there is a better way, I think this isn't bad. But something will have to be done about it for things like craters.