Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Demo World  (Read 9884 times)

mctash

Demo World
« on: June 14, 2011, 04:28:54 pm »

Hi to all!

I've just recently joined the forum and have enjoyed reading through it. Outerra looks fabulous.

I have tried to read a broad set of posts to get a feeling where everyone is at. I have a suggestion which has probably been thought of already so apologies if this is a repeat :)

How about a demo world/s on a server where the various modding community can ask for a spot of land, maybe 10km square and they can develop (as in create models, add necessary code etc  ) what they like (within reason) on that plot of land.

After some amount of community development you could then travel round the different plots seeing the novel uses people have found for the engine.

I can imagine there may be a few technical problems with this, such as how to seamlessly travel between plots when you may not have the assets/code required to view the plot.

Any plots the Outerra team really liked could be moved to "demo island" or where ever and be shown to potential engine customers.

This way the ARMA devs can make the ultimate tactical-shooter, the flight simmers can create the perfect flight sim, the city builders can work on creating huge metropolises and the list goes on.

Anyway just a thought I had

McTash

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Demo World
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 04:40:59 am »

That's actually what we aim for, to let other devs create games on it.
Except that they should be able to acquire whole planet as a separate realm where they can create it, otherwise there will be conflicts because everybody wants to do a WW1/WW2 game in the same area. It will be also easier to determine what game code is in control where, and to do global changes to the world (various settings like prehistoric, modern, postapocalyptic etc)

But there could be also a global realm where everybody just creates and imports models for others to see. We'll need a way of replicating assets on demand.

mctash

Demo World
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 08:53:38 am »

Thanks for reply :)

Well I guess if each dev team has a planet the issues are not as bad. Compute the client connection speed and how much data needs to be transferred, then expand the space between the two planets to allow enough time for transfer. I don't think that would work for multi-player though. Perhaps limiting interplanetary travel speed based on connection would work better. At least people have the same distance to travel then :)

With the single planet model I think seamless transfer will always be a problem when you don't have the required content locally. Perhaps one way of dealing with it is to limit content size per plot with a buffer distance between plots or even have a "force field" restrict access until the engine has finished downloading and integrating the required assets in parallel. This approach may destroy the immersion though :(

Anyway enough of my babble, I'm sure you have considered all this already.

McTash

Köngen

Demo World
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:32:49 am »

Quote from: cameni
But there could be also a global realm where everybody just creates and imports models for others to see.

Oh that sounds sweet. Apart from importing models I take it people can make them physically usable in various ways using different types of suspensions, drive trains, engines and so on for cars. Placing out fin normals and things like that on air vehicles. Various of characteristic specification options for each type of vehicle kind. This is more and more appearing like the perfect game :D