Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: I.S.S`s real-time location?.  (Read 8722 times)

ThomasMu

I.S.S`s real-time location?.
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:31:04 am »

Hi!

I`m wondering if it would be possible to spawn the I.S.S and sync it with the real I.S.S`s position?.
This page tracks the position in real-time, it uses google maps.: http://www.isstracker.com/

This would be a nice feature to have in Outerra.

And i must say you guys have done an amazing job with Outerra!, i`v been dreaming of something like this since i played "Stunts" in the early 90`s.

DeltaSim

Re: I.S.S`s real-time location?.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 09:19:58 am »

Nice idea :-). Actually, I guess this should be quite easy: In principle, the JSBSim flight dynamics model used in Outerra also works for space. It's rather limited, though as it only employs the simplest gravity model (just spherical, no Sun/Moon/Jupiter influence) and doesn't cover some other aspects of orbital dynamics. But hey - for a game it should do. NORAD publishes the orbital elements of every known object regularly, so if this is updated on the fly errors should not be huge. Alternatively, there is a number of open source orbit propagation libraries around that will be more accurate.

Probably cameni and angrypig are drowing in the flood of good ideas - if you simulate the whole world, people will want you to do everything there is in the world ;-).
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: I.S.S`s real-time location?.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:03:41 am »

I guess it would be possible, there should be also some ephemeris usable for position prediction, that can be updated from the server.

In theory it should be also lighted correctly and thus visible from ground as a moving dot. However, we need to get LOD handling on objects first, as the ISS is a polygon monster.