Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Road Map Overlay  (Read 10762 times)

Mikel_S

Road Map Overlay
« on: March 11, 2012, 11:13:58 pm »

Hi, I was just fooling around, and by complete mistake, came across the "G" key.  Oh.  My.  God.  I loved it.  I would up having it up pretty much constantly, but there's just one thing I'd love to see.

When in road making mode, it would be nice if the location of your cursor, or last single-left-click would appear on the map overlay, as well as a toggle-able option for user-created road data to show up on the map as well.

Just a suggestion, and I think it would really help get an idea of what the area is like, with a better ability to realistically follow existing roads.

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
Re: Road Map Overlay
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 11:22:17 pm »

It's a great little feature isn't it  :)
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 01:43:41 am »

I'm almost done with the simple "first coating" layout of the "H" roads in my town.  ;D  It's taking a while.  Been at it for months.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:45:15 am by Jagerbomber »
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Jagerbomber

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:44:31 pm »

After working with this for so long, I'd have to say that Bing Maps is significantly more accurate than Google Maps in many ways.  Even Mapquest and Yahoo maps are more accurate, though they're pretty much identical to each other.  (Also, Bing's satellite photos in my town were taken in the fall or winter making it a lot easier to see roads under tree cover.  The road map lines overlay is also much more accurate.)  Maybe we could get a/switch to a Bing Map overlay?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Mikel_S

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:57:20 pm »

Regardless of what map is used, I'd love to see an integrated display of current selection's location, as well as created roads on top of the map overlay.

Jagerbomber

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 06:24:18 pm »

;D I still want Bing maps, but +1 for Google for this.  Read the warning on the left.
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=The+Shire&daddr=Mordor&hl=en&sll=41.917283,-72.458236&sspn=0.371453,0.891953&dirflg=w&mra=ltm&t=h&z=16