Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Outerra Roads & OSM  (Read 4382 times)

Jonathan

Outerra Roads & OSM
« on: November 28, 2013, 02:03:05 am »

Hello everyone.

Does anyone know if Outerra will show actual roads in the Engine in the near future? I know it does run off of OSM, but it doesn't show the roads, just paths of grass. Will this be a feature that will be added in eventually and be procedurally generated by the OSM data that Outerra already has in the engine?

Chaoz

Re: Outerra Roads & OSM
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 02:07:41 am »

I'm sure some day this will be possible but for now the osm data is only for orientation purposes

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 02:51:25 am »

OSM is wip at the moment as far as i know.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 03:27:34 am »

... it does run off of OSM ...
It's neither running off the OSM nor Google maps, it's just showing off a synchronized web view of these, just as it could show any other web page inside the engine.
But import of OSM data is a planned feature, though there has to be an update in the internal vector format before it can happen.

James

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 05:29:20 pm »

When you go about 12767km away from roads they disappear. I've asked about this before, and you just said it can be changed with the graphic settings. Do you plan on making something so it's visible much further like terrain? Terrain seems to just be pixels if you're in space, but renders when you get closer to the terrain. Will roads, runways, and craters be like that eventually?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 02:34:15 am »

Vector data are tied to a certain terrain rendering level, and when you get far enough when that level vanishes, the roads go too. Larger vectors (large rivers, fields, runways) will be tied to a coarser terrain level in the future and they will stay longer, generally the level where the data are should be computed so that they disappear when going sub-pixel.
Currently the disappearance is more visible also because there's no procedural vector anti-aliasing on the roads yet.