Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Customisable Biomes (and more)  (Read 3750 times)

Sergesosio

Customisable Biomes (and more)
« on: August 15, 2012, 05:47:02 am »

When diffident biomes are in the game the ability to create your own biomes would be nice. Having the whole world at your disposal just calls for you to be creative. So to support creativity it should have as little as possible constraints. I feel that the world should be very customisable. Since everything is procedural it should be that hard, but i'm no coder so i wouldn't really know, but if we just could select & swap new foliage models, add a few new textures and play around with some parameters and BAM! there you have it, your own personal biome.
I'm not talking about replacing texture packs, but actual creation and modifying of biomes. With texture packs you don't have full support of how trees and stuff spawns, we need easy access to those variables.
Also different shader effects for different biomes, like how the heat in the desert blurs everything in the distance. That are just details but i'm just saying what's on my mind atm.

And it shouldn't stop with just biomes, weather should be controllable also.

I know you have a long road ahead of you and that is still allot of stuff that needs to be implemented before you can do this. But what i'm trying to say is that you should keep creativity in mind when coding outerra.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Customisable Biomes (and more)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 11:24:58 am »

It's not quite that straightforward, creation of biomes is a part of the pipeline that prepares the data for OT engine. Basically, it takes a world biome map, analyses it and compiles into a format usable by the OT terrain generator engine. The format allows us to perform fractal refinement of the data. At the moment it's an offline process, but it's possible that in the future it will be interactive; we would like to create a planet creator sw where this would be possible.