Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: One good flying afternoon! [Also navigation thread]  (Read 5786 times)

Dusor

One good flying afternoon! [Also navigation thread]
« on: June 09, 2013, 07:04:44 am »

I'm 100% sure I'm placing this in the wrong section of the forums... or not but as you may know I'm new here and I'm kind of addicted to simulators.
From now I see a huge potential in Outerra as being a simulator. I love playing FSX and as of the first demo Outerra looks better than normal FSX scenery.
I really hope Outerra will overrule the Sim/Aviation market one day and I hope I can be helping.

I've seen loads of aerocraft going into developement, but one thing we're forgetting about is navigation!
I'd love to be helping out with navigation issues, such as SID/STARs, waypoints and beacons.

I do have some questions regarding Outerra though:

- What is the main objective?
    For example, is Outerra going to be a simulator or are you sandboxing around as of yet?
- Will/Is Outerra based on (the) real world (coordinates)?
- Is/Will there a possibility to import data from outside sources?
    By which I mean AIRAC Cycles from Navigraph and others?
- How can you easily/quickly import a model from a (freeware) 3D application (such as Blender)?
    For making physical VOR/DME beacons which FSX misses out on.

For as long I play FSX my hardware have always been an issue due to it's a very CPU demanding game while Outerra kicks more on GPU.
GPU's are more wide in variety (and usually cheaper in price/performance) and CPU isn't a huge factor anymore.
And FSX is just tad outdated and based on stone old software.

Good luck and have some MAD/FUN!

The island of Maderia has has got distance measuring equipment which is called MAD and the VOR beacon is called FUN. Do you get it? MAD FUN.
If you know Madeira well, runway 5 is noutorious for it's MAD FUN.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:10:48 am by Dusor »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: One good flying afternoon! [Also navigation thread]
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 09:36:22 am »

Moved it to the ideas forum, since a flight simulator based on OT is basically in that stage ;)

For example, is Outerra going to be a simulator or are you sandboxing around as of yet?
- How can you easily/quickly import a model from a (freeware) 3D application (such as Blender)?

The main objective is to develop an engine capable of supporting planet-wide games and simulators on all levels of detail, from space down to the ocean floor and everything in between, and to have a mad fun doing that and doing some games/sims on it after the core is robust enough.

Even though gamers would do with artificial planets, simmers (but not just them) usually want a copy of the existing world. OT is based on real data, filling in the missing detail using procedural techniques. The tools are being built to be able to import more of the real-world data into it, whether from the "natural" aspect - biomes, climate profiles, or from the artificial (civilization) aspect, looking at importing the existing road network, urban areas etc.

That said, the engine itself is supposed to be generic. Navigational aids are usually simulator specific and they can be built by someone who will want to create a flight simulator (or a combined simulator). The engine may provide some helper functionality, for example some helpers for spatial queries since it's already using internal structures for it for terrain rendering.

Importing objects from 3D modeling programs is fairly easy, the whole user mods section is about users importing stuff into OT.

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 03:10:44 pm »

Mad fun at Madeira would entail erratic crosswinds and landing on a runway that's on stilts, extending over an ocean front beach next to a steep hillside.  :D

UR67393

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 11:24:27 am »

Moved it to the ideas forum, since a flight simulator based on OT is basically in that stage ;)

The main objective is to develop an engine capable of supporting planet-wide games and simulators on all levels of detail, from space down to the ocean floor and everything in between, and to have a mad fun doing that and doing some games/sims on it after the core is robust enough.

Even though gamers would do with artificial planets, simmers (but not just them) usually want a copy of the existing world. OT is based on real data, filling in the missing detail using procedural techniques. The tools are being built to be able to import more of the real-world data into it, whether from the "natural" aspect - biomes, climate profiles, or from the artificial (civilization) aspect, looking at importing the existing road network, urban areas etc.

That said, the engine itself is supposed to be generic. Navigational aids are usually simulator specific and they can be built by someone who will want to create a flight simulator (or a combined simulator). The engine may provide some helper functionality, for example some helpers for spatial queries since it's already using internal structures for it for terrain rendering.

Importing objects from 3D modeling programs is fairly easy, the whole user mods section is about users importing stuff into OT.
Hello dear cameni. I`m not English man and english isn`t my language(pardon me if will mistakes) but I have alternative suggestion about AIRAC(cycles) in OT. At this site http://data.x-plane.com/get_data.html placed newest freeware AIRAC dates(for XP9,10 & FG) which very need for many virtual pilots in OT. This FW AIRAC dates not for commercial use(it from XPlane), but  OT`s developers can create only(!) possibility for install of this AIRAC dates- it`s same alternative for OT`s virtual pilots, isn`t it? Or another words all simply create in OT of possibility of install that AIRAC dates(or same?) as it was created for FG flight simulator- FG users can download and install this dates yourself for own needs, for not commercial use. To tell to truth I haven`t desire look at OT as remaked flight simulator- and  only for it. In 3D graphical enjine of OT I see big overall vitual world which we, virtual gamers, can fill up own addons- railroad, auto, avia, navy. By the way, road, railways addons will be good for... flight simmers :) because road and railroad is very important  landmarks at the ground. In msfs road & rail road have bad visual view but in OT virtual pilots can see it in better views from developers of railroad(road) a addons(fs or sw) for example. Virtual pilots OT reporting that OT`s graphic very admire and they have a great desire to fly in the OT but to fly in OT now they need very little-AIRAC dates. And else- Microsoft closed of own flight sim project, LM have own. Who will remake OT at flight simulator? I think nobody. OT have JSBsim- it half of flight simulator, now for flight simulator need AIRAC instal possibility(upper), it second, main part which need for flight simulator. May I get answer fron OT developer at my suggestion about AIRAC install alternative? Thank You in advance. Best Regards!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 02:33:50 pm »

AIRAC and whatnot makes sense only when/if we'll be making a flight simulator, and at that point we'll have to analyze the availability of data and formats. If those data are used by FG and XP we might as well use it too. But there's still a lot of work involved in displaying the data, so it makes sense to do only when all other necessary flight sim components are going to be worked on as well.

UR67393

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 05:59:07 pm »

Thank You very much! I hope AIRAC and will develop in OT after, now need beautiful terrain. You just have to enable it to users downloaded and installed those dates just by Yourself. Maybe this option will make it easier for developers to do? Himself (user) downloaded and installed... Eventually, if will created minimum necessary which need for air navigation  I'm sure it will attract a most number of virtual pilots (I read their posts) in the OT because it is the basis for proffesional flight simulator. Also, during the existence of the MSFS(XP) appeared developers of sw models of airplanes and helicopters and formed the Society of these advanced models who want to see the same models  and in OT. because they understand that OT has a lot of potential and a great future, far greater than MsFS or XP for example. Need a necessary minimum and should have quite a bit. And then OT as Flight Simulator will be. In fact, many free and paid models and airport scenery, I am sure, in the future will be convert from FG XP and MSFS by developers. Convert scenes is not a problem, because we can already see in the OT is unique, the best realistic terrain  which will never be created for example in MSFS, and unlikely to be created in other fs. Separation of 3D graphics engine from the car only to maritime or air simulator is incorrect, this division has become outdated. From just a convenient note promising and very interesting in its versatility, "all in one". And on developers I believe will continue to fill the world with OT (create and convert) addons with models, railways and stations., sea and river ports., highways auto train cars and water traffic, with the cities of factories and many other bridges that will give players a great interest and desire to be regular users of the OT. I myself really want to be a regular user of OT and look at wanderfull addons, believe me. In generally required minimum for flight simulator in OT, and when this will be at least (for fs) - OT I sure it will attract a most number of virtual pilots , mostly flight simulator because. That`s all. Thank You for attention. Best Regards!