Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Graphics driver problem after update  (Read 2681 times)

gabiota

Graphics driver problem after update
« on: May 28, 2013, 05:02:40 pm »

i have a radeon hd 6570 and i have updated my drivers and i keep on getting this error when i try to run outerra

i have read over the require and minimum required specs and it looks like my card is within its range, so im wondering what can i do to fix this problem?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Graphics driver problem after update
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 03:07:28 am »

There is a problem with the Radeon driver installer that doesn't install the drivers properly and doesn't tell you there's a problem. Unfortunately they don't even acknowledge it.

Please follow the instructions at graphics driver issues and problems, particularly the uninstall and cleanup of old drivers before installing new ones.

gabiota

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:46:38 am »

oh wow, so that means i should have better drivers than what AMD is telling me is up to date?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 09:58:43 am »

The problem is that not all driver components installed properly, so you probably have the Catalyst control panel itself up to date, but the OpenGL graphics driver definitely isn't - we are reading the version info directly from the OpenGL driver file, atioglxx.dll, and that one is old, and that means the installer didn't update. The bad behavior is that it doesn't inform you that it could not install it. People then believe they have got the latest drivers, when in fact they have parts new and parts old.

Since the Catalyst install won't install new versions of that file for an unknown reason, you have to uninstall it and then run the cleaner that will delete all leftovers. That's the only known way how to make the Catalyst installer behave.

gabiota

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 10:01:38 am »

alright, il try this out when i get home and see if i can decently run outerra