Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Question from a computer noob  (Read 3135 times)

nawrp11

Question from a computer noob
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:01:34 am »

Hi there, I am new to this forum. I just wanted to ask a question regarding the inability of Outerra to work on Mac systems. I recently purchased a mac laptop and i know that i won't be able to play Outerra on it for now. My question is how long do people think it will be until Outerra is playable on macs (I'm debating if its worth keeping or returning my laptop). Will it be a matter of years or maybe months?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Question from a computer noob
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 11:35:54 am »

Technologically it should not be such a big problem, the software uses only portable libraries, and it should be close to Linux. But there are several other aspects to it:
  • OSX doesn't support OpenGL 3.3 yet, it's rumored it will be supported in the next version
  • we have absolutely no experience with Macs and no Apple HW at hand currently
  • at the moment the implementation of engine features has a higher priority than the multiplatform support

So I would say that Mac support will probably come only later when the engine becomes more feature-full and robust, unless something happens that would push it sooner.