Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Game Type Idea (RTS)  (Read 13206 times)

helio2

Game Type Idea (RTS)
« on: November 20, 2009, 02:23:24 pm »

Okay so i was thinking about this earlier. So far this is a great planet rendering engine that looks pretty much realistic in terms of Forrest and oceans and rivers and such that you would find anywhere.
Now with that said, I bealive this engine would be Exellent for a Real Time Strategy (RTS) Game!

Imagine the possibilities, Large Open areas to fight a war! I dont know if you have played Any RTS games, But the one that comes to mind is "Empire Earth 2". I know that implementing all the features of that game would take alot of time,
But maybe you can implement some of the Basic rule sets that are common to all RTS games. Just for a proof of concept.
Such as basic Units like Soldiers, tanks, Fighter jets, and last but not least Naval battleships.

All 4 of these vehicles will be built by placing down their respective manufacturing building. Which the player will choose were to build on the planet.

The other main part of an RTS is the resources, the basics are: Wood, Metal, Stone, food, and Population. Each resource would get their own respective building that produces said resource.
For wood, there would be a lumberyard, for metal there would be some type metalworks plant, stone is a stone quarrey , food is a barn, and Population is basic Appartment buildings or houses or just any civilian buildings, like a city center.

Last part is claiming territories on the planet  in order to have a winner in the end.

Now Im sure you can trim some stuff from the above in the spirit of possibly making a prototype. Like only 1 Resource and only 1 unit  such as tanks or something.

But hey if you need someone to model the 3D Building Units i can do that.
just putting this idea out there, i think it would be GREAT!
Outerra needs a Planet size modifier.   < nuff said!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Game Type Idea (RTS)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 03:07:23 pm »

Yeah, an RTS could be interesting to make.

There's one problem, though. RTS on a whole planet? I think that our mental image of RTS is skewed by the relatively tiny worlds that common RTS games use. Here the surface area is enormous, things like single buildings are totally lost in there. The territories would be better, but how exactly would you claim them?
There should be something that represents the territory.

Well, I think one has to see the world in the engine first, and the games for it will have to be different from what we know :-)

helio2

Game Type Idea (RTS)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 06:41:04 pm »

There are many ways to go around this problem. Some that come to mind is seting up battlefield boundries, because I mean let's face it, all RTS games have them. Now you can take the more unique and exiting way. That is to shrink the planet to a more managible size while still appearing to be vast. Depending on player options the planet diameter would be up to them. Possibly 1/20th of the size of the moon.

Also territories would be captured by building some kind of city center.

You can gradualy take over the planet one continent at a time. That would be epic

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Game Type Idea (RTS)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 01:28:10 am »

Yes, shrinking the planet to a more manageable size while still large enough to have a "planet feeling" would be an option.
But I'd also like to see a massive online persistent game on the whole Earth, with much slower pace than common RTS but reaching the epic scales eventually :-)

helio2

Game Type Idea (RTS)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 03:06:22 am »

Quote from: cameni
But I'd also like to see a massive online persistent game on the whole Earth, with much slower pace than common RTS but reaching the epic scales eventually :-)

Exactly! that is what i alluded to, but in single player form.

You could also restrict land by having maybe 2 large islands to fight among in the entire planet, a D-Day type of senario, lawlz.

Jinzor

Game Type Idea (RTS)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 09:09:10 am »

Sorry for necroposting (and my bad English, I'm from Korea), but I think an RTS game on Outerra would be fantastic!

A couple of years ago I had a dream of playing this Rise of Nations/Empire Earth/Age of Empires/Civilization/Spore themed game on a massive as hell planet (by "dream" I don't mean wishing for something, I literally mean sleeping & dreaming... yes I know, it's sad... I must have been playing too many video games during that day to get a dream about playing a video game...). It is a game where you go through all of the periods of human civilization (maybe an additional future era just for fun + science-fiction lovers like myself) and as you go through each era, the way of playing the game also changes e.g. less amount of micromanaging (like managing your armies - AI sometimes doing battles for you when you shift your camera to another fight to command on another part of the map at the same time maybe, since the planet you will be playing might be freaking huge... if you choose to play on that kind of sized map). You also control the camera like in World in Conflict/Shogun 2 Total War + Supreme Commander where you can zoom out to see everything you've explored (well, during the ages without satellites like the Medieval era you get a 2D paper map, but when you get to the Modern/Digital era you can see it all in 3D), hover around the beneath the sky and move the camera freely at whatever angle and can zoom down to see the smallest details of everything if you know what I mean. Difficulty levels will change the amount of micromanaging you have to control (maybe) aswell.

(Going to write about the dream I had in a kind of "tutorial" or "2nd person" way of speaking)
You start off in some Prehistoric/Stone Age/Ancient era with some nomads on top of a hill. You find a suitable location for a settlement, you get them to begin building their settlement one hut at a time (they have enough resource with them to create the first hut, you have to get more resources from the surrounding area to build more, so...), you get them to collect some resources from the surrounding area, hunt & gather during the day for food, be on guard for any dangerous wild animals that may run into your settlement and attempting to kill your population, sleep at night to get their energy back up etc. Like, it starts off as a kind of survival game where you only have a handful of people trying to gather food, fend off wild animals, go on hunting parties etc and you have to micromanage each person.

As your settlement and population grows over time, there is less micromanaging (e.g. one gatherer unit will eventually be a 10-person group of gatherers so you don't have to click on each individual designated gatherer to collect fruit/wood/whatever resource), the huts you created will gradually get upgraded into stronger-looking huts, uncontrollable people will start going about their own business around the dirt roads kind of like the citizens in the game "Black & White" (they aren't just eye-candy, each person you see is a part of the small population living in the settlement. If unassigned, they consume some of the resources you gather, expand the settlement, breed etc. If you want to create a new unit of gatherers/builders/warriors/settlers, these random citizens will be called up to form that unit group, like the military platoons in Black & White 2), you will also be allowed to begin to research things for the first time (e.g. farming - another food source, enhanced tools - for gatherers - axes for chopping down wood faster, animal husbandry - another food source, the wheel - higher carrying limit for amount of resources carried by gatherers maybe, bronze working - better weapons for warriors, horseback riding - faster movement over long distances with the use of horses maybe, clans - get to recruit settlers and build settlements elsewhere), bandits may start appearing, you can go off exploring to chart new areas or find other settlements etc etc you get the idea.

Once you've progressed quite a bit through the techs and your settlement is now too big to micromanage every little thing there, you will advance to another era (maybe the Classical era or something), you will no longer have to manage gatherers for resources - the towns will automatically gather things around the area like civilization maybe, you will finally be able to use a strategic zoom (but limited, depends on the amount of land you've charted by exploring) to zoom in and out on parts of the map (like in Supreme Commander. You can zoom in on your settlement to see the gatherers at work (it's eye-candy this time), the citizens walking around the roads/riding on horses or maybe zoom in on some random road to see farmers transporting their produce to the settlement. When you zoom out to the maximum, you get a 2D piece of old-looking paper which has things charted on it e.g. icons representing your settlement or your units, different coloured areas for forest areas, water areas, rivers, lines representing different levels of terrain etc. As you explore more of the world, the icons representing the settlement/units and different coloured areas decrease in scale in order to chart more of the world you've explored. As you progress through more eras, the type of paper/look of the icons on the map change to fit the theme of that era (like the crappy looking paper in the Classical era is replaced by not-as-crappy paper in the Medieval era. When you finally reach the modern/digital era, when satellites become available, 2D maps are obsolete and you can see the entire world from space) and other things.

The dream seemed to skip some stuff and go straight into this... digital-renaissance age with some giant as heck robot (is it called "robot" or "mech"?) standing in a place which looked like a northern-European city like Helsinki or Oslo and then zooming out to see the planet and then zooming in on something else on another part of the world. I can't remember the rest, but as soon as I woke up I was like "Man, I wish I could play that for real".

Well, that's the end of it. Although, I think such a game would require so much developing time and money that it would be impossible to create. Also, I don't even know myself if Outerra would be able to handle an RTS game like I've described, it probably won't be able to. But as the Professor from Futurama says at the end of an episode which was all about "dreaming" of things people wanted or imagined...

"A man can dream though... a man can dream..."

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Game Type Idea (RTS)
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 11:08:04 am »

Cool dream :) I can remember a few similar dreams myself, when I woke up really wishing I could experience it in a game .. although it would require also a kind of 3D helm to get to the immersion level of the dream though :)

No doubt a game of such scale and detail would be damn hard to produce, I think you are right it would be practically impossible to do in today's commercial environment.
I wonder if we could get there iteratively.

As for Outerra itself, I believe it could be used to render such a world one day, but there's a lot of things to be solved in order to make games that can support whole planets with sufficient level of detail - AI, simulation code for huge number of entities, or some probabilistic models that reduce the computation requirements as you zoom out, while still correctly modeling the entity properties and behavior.
But I'm hoping we are heading there.

Or at least we can dream ;)