Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: My trees are underground. (Solved)  (Read 8071 times)

picklesandcheese

My trees are underground. (Solved)
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:23:35 am »

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but my trees all seem to generate below ground level, as in the attached screen shot. Also, I can sometimes go below the ground in UFO mode, which is how I got the screen shot, but I can only do that when the ground doesn't resolve to the higher detail version when I get closer to it.

I'm running the game on Windows 7, Nvidia GeForce GT 540M, Core i7-2670QM, 6GB DDR3 RAM.

I have the latest graphics drivers but the game still tells me that I have an unrecognised graphics card. I have also managed to have the game crash telling me that my graphics hardware is not supported while I was moving a building.

So, is my graphics card not good enough? Is there something that I have missed? Or is it something to do with the game itself?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:33:36 pm by picklesandcheese »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: My trees are underground.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 12:34:06 pm »

You have a very interesting problem. Haven't seen a unique issue like this in a while. Cameni will be on to pick your brain in a bit.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 12:34:34 pm »

Are you running any graphics tool like EVGA precision, MSI Afterburner, anything that displays or can display some kind of information in the game window?

Please also attach your eng.log

[deleted]

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:36:49 pm »

You are using a laptop GPU. I think that's the problem.

picklesandcheese

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 01:06:21 pm »

Here's my log file.

I don't have either of the programs that you mentioned, nor anything like it I'm afraid. This is a new laptop and I haven't done much in the way of installing useful tools or tweaks.

I'd hope that the issue is not just down to having a mobile graphics card. I got this laptop so I could play games to a reasonable degree of quality... Having said that, I haven't yet installed any other games or 3D intensive programs so I can't compare Anteworld's performance with anything.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 01:20:40 pm »

That doesn't seem to be the right eng.log file. First, it's from 25th April, and it says "ERROR: Error initializing OpenGL subsystem. This program requires OpenGL 3.3 capable graphics card with recent drivers."
Apparently because it didn't have Nvidia profile created at that time, that instructs it to choose Nvidia over Intel graphics.

Please look for it where you installed the data directory, and check if the file has recent date.

Laptop GPUs aren't a problem as long as they have recent drivers and correct profile assigned. Recent drivers from Nvidia, not ones from the laptop manufacturer - those are usually old.

picklesandcheese

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 02:36:34 pm »

I don't know why it says 25th April, I didn't even have this computer at that point... I installed the game this weekend.

I checked the last modified date of the log file that I posted previously and it says 5th May.

I have another one that says 7th May in last modified but still starts like this: "INFO: Outerra 0.7.11, build 3061 from Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:46:38" I've attached it to this message in case it is any use. I've had to compress it as it is a much bigger file.

I searched my whole hard drive and there aren't any more eng.log files anywhere, so I hope this one is useful.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 03:01:21 pm »

You seem to have dll version 8.17.12.6754, which translates to Nvidia 267.54 version drivers. These are pretty old, the latest are 296.10 for your card. Please download the latest drivers at http://www.geforce.com/Drivers for 500M series.

picklesandcheese

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 03:30:57 pm »

Well that's embarrassing... I thought I had the latest driver because Windows told me so. I'll remember to double check for myself next time.

Driver updated and now the trees are on top of the land. Unfortunately they also disappear when my UFO gets within 1km of them and the more that disappear the slower the game gets. I can also still go through the ground where it isn't fully detailed.

Screenshot and latest log file attached. The trees that you can see are about the closest that I can get to them before they disappear.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 03:45:39 pm »

I noticed in the log you are running Lenovo Onekey Theater. After a bit of googling I found that it causes crashes in many games - see for example here. Outerra with its special game loop is more sensitive to programs that inject into apps to do fancy effects on the game window, so it would be a good idea to disable it when running Anteworld.

Thinking about it, it would be a good idea to get rid of it, as it causes problems in other games as well.

picklesandcheese

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 04:12:49 pm »

I didn't even know what Onekey Theater does and after Googling it I don't think I'll miss it.

After removing it, however, there is no change in the game. Trees still disappear and slow the game down and I can still get through the ground where it doesn't load properly.

I checked the log myself this time to see of there was anything else that I might be able to do. As far as I can tell the only things that are running are Anteworld and NVIDIA things plus one Lenovo Bluetooth Stack. I'm going to assume that the Anteworld and NVIDIA processes need to be running and I couldn't find anything about the bluetooth stack causing problems.

By the way, thanks for taking the time to help me with this. It is very much appreciated. :-)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 04:22:03 pm »

Does the same problem appear everywhere in the world? Still looks as a problem of an injected module interfering with the game to me, but at the moment we aren't capable of detecting which ones are injected :(

picklesandcheese

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 04:45:21 pm »

Yes, unfortunately, at least in all the locations that I have loaded. I'll have a look at what is running in task manager and see if I can find out what is causing the problem.

picklesandcheese

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 05:24:10 pm »

Well I disabled various programs that were running and the one that seemed to fix the ground not loading problem when I deactivated it was Lenovo VeriFace.

As for the trees disappearing when I got close it turns out that was entirely my fault. I think I must have adjusted something in the terrain settings when I couldn't see the trees and forgotten about it as when I reset it to the defaults the trees started behaving as expected.

Thanks for all your help today. You don't get this level of service from many games makers :)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 01:29:38 am »

Thanks for finding the infringer :)
Another one to blacklist.