Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Sun Flares and Water  (Read 19418 times)

halobungie

Sun Flares and Water
« on: August 28, 2010, 05:27:33 pm »

Hello,
i have found this link with another Engine:
http://blog.nostatic.org/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=23

I think "The Water" and the "Sun Flares" looks great. Is it possible to integrate this two things in Outerra?

Greetings,
halobungie

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Sun Flares and Water
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 01:51:15 am »

Water alone is easy; harder is to get variety of wave types with wind strength, the right wave direction according to seafloor profile near the shores and so.

Sun flares? Like, flares on the sun? I didn't saw anything like that on the site, and I don't see why you'd be interested in anything like that either .. :|

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Sun Flares and Water
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 01:59:34 am »

Quote from: cameni
Sun flares? Like, flares on the sun? I didn't saw anything like that on the site, and I don't see why you'd be interested in anything like that either .. :|
I think he meant other phenomenons, like the lens flare on a camera, or something similar caused by atmospheric phenomenons.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Sun Flares and Water
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 02:09:30 am »

Ah, lens flares.

Well, I don't like the ones appearing because of multiple camera lenses. Absolutely not in FPS views.
But the phenomenon appears also with the human eye, although it depends on its state .. I didn't think about that yet.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Sun Flares and Water
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 02:45:19 am »

The only thing I've seen with lens flares on most similar applications is that even when the sun is below the horizon, you still see a lens flare.  I don't think I've ever seen an engine capable of negating this affect.  Although I'm a slave to as much realism as possible (as well as the highest quality graphics possible), I could deal with lack of lens flares because of this problem.  Now if you can compensate for this, you will make one Texan a very happy man ;)

The worst I've seen so far is in FSX ... I was piloting a 737-800 at midnight between DFW and Austin, and I still came across the occasional lens flare depending on the angle of view I was looking at.  For someone who enjoys an "immersive" environment, this was a deal-breaker for me.  (There's a "sweet-spot" in FSX if you're angling your exterior view correctly ... I encountered it once by accident, and could reproduce it almost at will after that.  I had to end the flight and go to bed after that ... definitely killed the mood for me).

Lens flares are great for realism, but this kind of deal-breaker kills the moment for me.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Sun Flares and Water
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 03:31:17 am »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
Lens flares are great for realism

The whole point of a game world is to make you believe that you are there, really there. Not to make you believe you are just looking at it through a camera lens. Its suppose to be your eye you're seeing from not a fake camera. Lens Flare was only put into games because movies (which are filmed with cameras that have lens' quite often) experience lens flare when the director doesn't take the lighting position of the sun or bright object into account and screws up. Then some people went OOOOOOOOOhhh.. that's pretty! And thus fake lens flare was born because it is pretty... Not realistic.

No Lens Flare is A.O.K with me.

Also that little ramble about the waves and tides matching the wind. THAT is why I am following outerra. The absolute realistic absurdity of it all. Keep up the good work.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Sun Flares and Water
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 12:22:23 am »

I should have clarified my statement better ... sorry ...

When I talked about lens flares, I meant mainly from exterior or "movie" style views.  In FSX, I typically fly most of my trips through the Outside Spot View, in which the lens flares don't break immersion for me.  I'm a writer as a hobbyist and semi-professionally, so when I conceive of storylines, etc, I tend to think in terms of movies.  IE, I see the scenes as a movie would portray them, lens flares included.

If I'm in a cockpit, the lens flares do break the immersion a bit, but it's not completely deal-breaking for me.

Although I do have to point out that even the human eye DOES see lens flaring.  It's just perceived slightly differently due to the differential between the eye lens and the retina, but it is there.  Tears on the eye tend to exaggerate this affect, but most people don't really notice it because they are accustomed to it and the brain compensates for it on a sub-conscious level.  To see it, you have to really train yourself.  Since I do artwork as well (traditional, as well as 3d CGI work), I can "see" it, but not in quite the same manner as portrayed on television or the movies.

That being said, NO lens flare would be better in my opinion if and only if that damnable midnight lens flare from FSX can't be corrected.  I ran another Dallas to Austin run last night and quit once again because of it.

/sigh.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Sun Flares and Water
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 02:08:07 am »

OK. I can see lens Flare for certain situations. I mean. Just toggle the option for it with a key and maybe even the ability to define the number of lenses and intensity. Certainly not during anything First Person.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

David Pemberton

Sun Flares and Water
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 02:20:59 am »

Lens flare effect would be great for enhancing static screenshots, so a toggle-able option would be good, imo.

ddenn

Sun Flares and Water
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 07:23:00 am »

Water alone is easy; harder is to get variety of wave types with wind strength, the right wave direction according to seafloor profile near the shores and so.

Would be very nice to have all this features in Outerra, I love to make seaplanes for x-plane. There's no flightsim witch can do good water simulation.
i7 3930K 3.50 (3.80) Ghz, 32Gb RAM, GTX980 4 Gb VRAM, Windows 7 64-bit

About Outerra in Russian

Osteryx

Sun Flares and Water
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 03:03:16 pm »

Quote from: ddenn

Would be very nice to have all this features in Outerra, I love to make seaplanes for x-plane. There's no flightsim witch can do good water simulation.

I just had to register and post a reply for that xD.
Because there are quite good water simulations for flight sims.
HD water from il2
water with different times of day
water in an action movie of il2

when there is no wind there are no white caps, when the weather is less good there are white caps on the waves
and when there is a thunderstorm going on every wave has one

[EDIT] I have to say that the water handels like  2D water, you can't hit a high wave or something and there is no underwater scenery.

ddenn

Sun Flares and Water
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 03:45:56 pm »

I meant good water simulations for seaplanes and vessels, with right plane's reactions on waves, normal shore exit etc. Visually water looks good in many flight sims. In x-plane it looks ok, it has even plane reaction on waves, but you can't see that waves, it's just flat. You can't exit on shore with gears down for some reason in x-plane, that sort of things.

Would be nice to see something like that in Outerra :)

About Outerra in Russian

Osteryx

Sun Flares and Water
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 08:47:38 am »

Quote from: ddenn
I meant good water simulations for seaplanes and vessels, with right plane's reactions on waves, normal shore exit etc. Visually water looks good in many flight sims. In x-plane it looks ok, it has even plane reaction on waves, but you can't see that waves, it's just flat. You can't exit on shore with gears down for some reason in x-plane, that sort of things.

Would be nice to see something like that in Outerra :)

ah, okay. That would be nice indeed.

ddenn

Sun Flares and Water
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 02:12:18 am »

Found this in the youtube

It uses OpenGL as well. Is it possible to use this in Outerra?

Only there's no foam yet.

About Outerra in Russian

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Sun Flares and Water
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 02:24:42 am »

Bruneton is well-known in large scale rendering of natural phenomena, although his methods go after scientific correctness and the methods don't leave too much resources for other stuff.

Anyway, it can be used, there are several methods for water rendering that could be used, but that's only the part of the problem (and the smallest one, I'd say). A bigger problem are the shores and shallow waters.