Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Norwegian Perpetual Motion Machine  (Read 5177 times)

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Norwegian Perpetual Motion Machine
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:52:31 pm »

http://vr-zone.com/articles/the-norwegian-perpetual-motion-machine-that-could/17285.html

Don't know if he really can reach 100% efficiency and beyond, but if he can, glorious times of free energy are ahead for humanity.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: Norwegian Perpetual Motion Machine
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 10:22:49 pm »

I am pretty sure this isn't needed. The waves of the ocean are perpetual, powerful and plentiful. People have attached giant buoy's to the bottom of the shore and the up and down motion the waves create generate electricity. A fer more plausible thing.

{at least until Gravity Controllers are real and then we can just make vehicles "fall" forward}
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Sam

• nearby
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 04:26:47 am »

Magnets are a acitve powerelement, so it can't be a perpedum mobile.
Resident of Outerra

PTTG

• The following post is procedurally generated:
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 11:45:48 am »

Uh...
1: This is a sculpture, not a machine.
2: It explicity isn't more than 100% efficient, and there's no reason to think it could possibly be made so.
3: The person who wrote the article is a moron who doesn't have the most basic grasp of physics.
4: Inarticulate rage at ignorance.

This is an externally-powered sculpture some guy said looks like a perpetual motion machine. Some village idiot interpreted this as a magic infinite-energy machine.

I promise you that whenever people say they have a perpetual energy machine, they are lying. Now, if you want cheap energy for the world, there are several ways to do this that don't rely on blatant violations of physics. For instance, solar or wind are cost-competitive with the cheapest dirty fuel sources. If you insist on a technological miracle, I encourage you too look into Fusion research; our ability to contain and purify plasma grows faster than moore's law would suggest, meaning that we are only a few years from net energy gain.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 03:37:24 pm »

Sigh.  I never said it was at 100% efficiency, and anyone who wants to see bogus free energy devices need only look at what the Mythbusters have looked at.  I'm just saying, what if he is able to go to 100% and beyond?
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 04:10:22 pm »

Reaching 100% efficiency is like reaching the speed of light: you would need infinite amounts of energy for the latter, and infinite amount of engineering for the former. Each decimal 9 will require exponential effort, taking infinite time to reach it asymptotically.

With 100% effective device you could not as much as look at it in order not to slow it down, because even the act of measuring it would break it. Not mentioning that it would have only an academic value, since there's no use for it.

Efficiency (maybe just as the speed of light) should be expressed in a different system, one where 100% maps to infinity, so that no one gets a great idea of making something infinity+1 effective :)