Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Snow ploughs and sand storms.  (Read 4522 times)

BenDragon

Snow ploughs and sand storms.
« on: November 01, 2012, 03:21:46 pm »

As snow accumulation is planned to be implemented in outerra (I've been searching before hand, but I generally didn't get the right answer from my searches) I've wondered if being able for vehicles to plough.

I've also wondered aobut the accmumulation of snow on vehicles. http://1funny.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/car-snow.jpg

I also wanted to know about deserts and how they interact with the weather, as in sand storms. I also would like to know how sand would interact with vehicles.

Thanks for reading.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Snow ploughs and sand storms.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 04:48:02 pm »

Snow height should be kept in a separate layer, probably the same one used for grass envelope now. The operations that modify terrain height (roads) should be extended to allow modifying only the upper layer - will be used for tracks in grass, snow, dirt. Ploughing/plowing falls into this category as well. Also the sand layer forming dunes in desert should be handled this way.

Physics and interactions are a different matter. Parts of it could be relatively easy, like the physics of wheels. But simulating it to the extent like in the video would be more complicated.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:49:55 pm »

How on earth (aka Outerra) would you accomplish accumulation on structures and models? I guess a layer extending to the "top" of static models wouldn't be TOO hard. But models intent on moving I can't figure.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 03:36:37 am »

Of course, the layer won't work on models, that's just for terrain. Maybe some other trick could be used for the models without having to provide snow cover as a switchable part of the model ...

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 01:16:22 pm »

Well could the upper snow layer be made to detect a static model and just place itself atop the collision mesh taking the shape? That way snow buildup would look natural and not have snow forming INSIDE buildings as well. 
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Juggernautz

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 02:09:19 pm »

If material blending is supported in the engine, you could always blend a snow material on top of any others on the upwards facing normals of the mesh.