Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quoting  (Read 18870 times)

AWM Mars

• http://www.yourinside.com
Quoting
« on: September 01, 2010, 04:26:16 am »

I find the constant taking up of space by quoting, and requoting, then re-requoting what the last posters have said, space wasting and spamming. The whole point of Forums is so that you can read the thread and know what is being said.
Politeness is priceless when received, cost nothing to own or give, yet some cannot afford.

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
Quoting
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 11:47:33 am »

Quote from: AWM Mars
I find the constant taking up of space by quoting, and requoting, then re-requoting what the last posters have said, space wasting and spamming. The whole point of Forums is so that you can read the thread and know what is being said.
Not if done correctly.  I don't see terrible use of quoting and re-quoting here: I've seen far worse.  I've been with this forum for a few months now, and always found it to be a friendly place where I could air ideas and help in any way I could.  Your post marks the first time that's changed.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel Janoušek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Quoting
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 12:33:29 pm »

I do not find it used wrongly in too many places here, so I was surprised to see that something like that could have angered you.
I'm personally trying to quote only when there are several parallel threads within a topic, and not to quote if it's a single stream. But I'm not sure if I always follow this rule myself, so it's nothing I would kill for :D

But RaikoRaufoss quoting the post directly above his about overusing the quoting, that made me laugh :lol:
Although I understand that AWM Mars probably doesn't find it funny at all. I hope this doesn't become a problem, guys?

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
Quoting
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:38:07 pm »

Quote from: cameni
But RaikoRaufoss quoting the post directly above his about overusing the quoting, that made me laugh :lol:
Although I understand that AWM Mars probably doesn't find it funny at all. I hope this doesn't become a problem, guys?
Yes, I love irony. :lol: It won't be a problem for me; I usually only quote a post when I want address a single post, and always remove other quotes that are buried in the whole quote that don't have any meaning to what I want to respond to.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
Karel Janoušek
So be our guide

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Quoting
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 06:16:25 pm »

It usually helps when you cut down a quoted post to just specify what you are addressing. I moderate some other forums and spend many an hour removing double quoted 1920x1200 image embeds of the ABOVE poster..
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

RaikoRaufoss

Quoting
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 06:28:00 pm »

That's another thing I do Zeos.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
Karel Janoušek
So be our guide

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Quoting
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 07:28:57 pm »

Quote from: RaikoRaufoss
I do Zeos.

lol
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

RaikoRaufoss

Quoting
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 07:48:46 pm »

:lol: Good joke!
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
Karel Janoušek
So be our guide

AWM Mars

Quoting
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 05:26:07 am »

I wouldn't use the word 'angered' to describe how I was feeling at the time, more frustration having to look at the wasted space in each post, when referencing the post directly above. Most forums/blogs, interactive posting, use @ and short quote... not the whole quote and multilayering other quotes.
It doesn't take much brainpower to read a series of posts and get the 'big picture', unless your attention span is somewhat muted.

Its your forum.. and its just my opinion.
Politeness is priceless when received, cost nothing to own or give, yet some cannot afford.

corona

Quoting
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 06:54:15 am »

What's much more frustrating and a way bigger waste of space IMO is checking the forum only to find the only new posts are people hijacking a thread to discuss a very specific preference they have for how other people should write their messages.

My Opinion: Get over it

maxter

Quoting
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 09:05:21 am »

Quote from: AWM Mars

Its your forum.. and its just my opinion.

Well mate, opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.  Like the previous poster said, get over it.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Quoting
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 01:01:06 pm »

Quote from: maxter
Well mate, opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.  Like the previous poster said, get over it.

Actually the full quote is "Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone's got one and they all stink"

Now to get back on topic. (Checking the topic because it went was so askew)... Oh Never mind.. this is relevant. Some forums I use have it so if you quote a post with a full size image it will auto-thumbnail it so the person doesn't look like a ____.

AWM Mars

Quoting
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 02:27:31 pm »

well well well.. seems you do lack the brain power to comprehend how a forum should be used.. and then resort to trying to out do eachother with the puns lol.. sad.. but.. you clearly are not smart enough, otherwise you would need to keep repeating what everyone says, over and over... maybe you could try being orginal... I'll leave you to ponder.. might take a while..
Oh, btw, maxter, I'm not your mate.. I am your peer.
ZeosPantera... you try hard to be orginal, but you are like a coat of white gloss paint.. only as good as the coat you follow.

AWM Mars

Quoting
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 02:34:19 pm »

What you also missed is, It was me that started this topic.. and if you managed to read the heading, instead of clicking on anything with a new post so you can get more posts to your name, you would have seen it IS about multiple quoting.. so you missed the whole point... shame on you..

Just for your pun book.. assoles are useful.. without which, where would you be able to sit on your brain? Next time, before you open the mouth.. engage the brain.

RaikoRaufoss

Quoting
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 03:29:18 pm »

Ok, now this is going too far.  AWM Mars, you don't run this place, Brano and Ladislav do.  This is not your place to argue with others.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
Karel Janoušek
So be our guide
Pages: [1] 2