Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Obsolete - YOG Video recording  (Read 9532 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Obsolete - YOG Video recording
« on: December 25, 2012, 05:19:29 pm »

Note: the following info applied to versions prior to 0.8.0.4269

Outerra contains built-in recording functionality that captures videos in a special format (YOG), that minimizes the impact that capturing video frames normally has on the application. By default the yog files are captured in "videos/" folder in your Outerra data directory. The YOG files can be converted into a variety of other formats like x264 or MJPEG for further editing using a FFMPEG-based converter.

The latest version of the converter can be found here:
ffmpeg-yog converter

The tool is based on FFMPEG video/audio encoder, compiled with support for YOG videos. Description of the tool can be found at http://www.outerra.com/video/index.html

The simplest way to convert the videos is to unpack the downloaded converter directly into the folder where the captured yog videos are stored (by default your Windows home/outerra/videos), and then simply dragging and dropping the yog file onto the conv.bat. That will automatically launch the conversion process, resulting in an avi file with the same name as the input yog file.
Note: don't forget to set your audio recording device to "stereo mix" prior to launching outerra.exe, if you want to capture the in-game sounds as well.

To convert captured YOG videos manually, unpack the tool and run one of the bat files in command window with the following arguments:
Code: [Select]
  conv.bat <video_file>.yog <output_file>.avi

conv4edit.bat <video_file>.yog <output_file>.avi

conv.bat converts to a highly compressed MPEG4 format, suitable for uploading to YouTube.
conv4edit.bat converts to Motion-JPEG format, suitable for further editing of the video.

You can also use GUI for the converter made by lookastdu here.

For the best results:
  • set the active audio input to capture sound from the audio card, usually named as "stereo mix"
  • it's best to change the disk to what the yog videos are being captured, so that it isn't affected by disk transfers from other parts, like model loading and terrain data streaming. To redirect where the yog files are written, please edit the eng.cfg file, changing the "videos_dir" to point elsewhere, e.g videos_dir = "e:\videos\"
  • for stable recording lock fps to half the refresh rate of your display running at 60Hz (you can do it in the graphics config via Vertical Sync setting). In this mode the recorder simply takes each frame and writes it to the disk, whereas in the unsynchronized mode (default one) it picks frames that are closest to the desired recording frame position, but unless your frame rate is quite high it can produce jitter.
    Note: on ATI cards it's currently not possible to sync to the half of display refresh rate due to a bug in their OpenGL driver (It was reported early in 2012 but still no confirmation of it being fixed)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 09:26:55 am by cameni »

Pollux

Re: Video recording
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 03:39:25 am »

Hi Guys,

I've just paid and downloaded Outerra.  I have, of course, played with it and found it quite amazing.
Also I've downloaded the ffmpeg-yog converter but I don't now how to use it because I have no idea about "command line"...!
Windows 7 64 bit.
Could someone point me in the right direction please. :)
Thanks
Pollux

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 03:55:18 am »

If you downloaded the converter recently (after 21 Feb), you can just unzip it into the folder where Outerra captures videos (by default c:\users\yourname\outerra\videos), and then after you've captured a video in Outerra, you can just drag the yog file (it's capture_somenumber.yog) into conv.bat in the same folder, it will start converting right away, producing an avi file with the same name.

Pollux

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 03:34:26 pm »

Thank you so much cameni, it's working.  I really love this software  :)

mori

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 04:31:35 pm »

Thank you so much cameni, it's working.  I really love this software  :)

by the way to see command line on win, press win+R , enter cmd and press "return".
The black terminal window is a command line. The more you know ;)

Evildropbear

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:22:27 am »

Hello

I just tried to record a video, and received a .yog file, and a .wav file.
However the .wav file is just a recording of my mic, no in game sound.

In the main topic it says "set the active audio input to capture sound from the audio card, usually named as "stereo mix"", but I don't see where to change this setting?

www.outerra.com/video/ link is dead.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:24:39 am by Evildropbear »

mori

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 11:25:54 am »

yeah try to expose stereo mixer (google what it is) and then use it as default windows recording device. maybe it will help

Evildropbear

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 11:29:13 am »

If I understand correctly, I need to use software to trick my sound output to act as in input, and that gets recorded by Outerra?

I can do that via Virtual Audio Cable, but it seems like an unnecessary work around.

mori

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 11:31:07 am »

if you find any other better way pls post it to help others, me i never tried to fix it, i never needed the sound

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 02:04:28 am »

Sometimes the stereo mix device is hidden, and you have to right click in the recording devices window and "Show disabled devices"

http://www.outerra.com/video/index.html