Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Mouse Control  (Read 4406 times)

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
Mouse Control
« on: January 27, 2013, 09:48:56 pm »

Hi Cameni,

Would there be a way we could have the mouse as a controller to control the aircraft (and/or land vehicles). The mouse wheel for throttle and left/right/up/down motion for aileron and elevator. This would mean a fixed view or the numpad could be used to change view (forward/rear/left/right). This would make flying more fluid than with keys.

Thanks in advance.
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
Re: Mouse Control
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 11:11:15 pm »

I agree in principle.  I would like to point out, though, that X-Plane has this exact functionality.  I don't know if that sort of thing is copyrightable, but with Laminar Research going through a nasty and frivolous but expensive patent lawsuit at the moment, it may be impolitic to give the impression of copying, however innocent the intent.

KelvinNZ

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 01:25:19 am »

I see your point but i'm sure this wouldn't be the case, if this was the case i'm sure there would be a whole lot of companies on the chopping block. Many many games have this functionality.

This is simply a function not a branded technology. Maybe Cameni could shed some more light on this for us both.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 01:31:27 am »

Aircraft scripts take input values in range 0..1 or -1..1 from anything bound to a given input action. If the future input interface has a functionality that converts mouse movement to this value, you could simply reconfigure your controls to get this control style.

It's also hardly patentable this way, although nobody can be sure in the land of the free (lawyers, that is) anymore :(

KelvinNZ

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 01:54:35 am »

How true you are. Lawyers are the beasts in the wilderness ready to bounce (if paid enough). Considering this, would it be an option for you to include this function?

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 02:03:09 am »

Well as I said in Outerra it would be technically a control scheme, one of many, not a specific mode. Could be even handled by the aircraft script itself, since possibly the parameters of that conversion could be different for each, I don't know. Yes, it can be implemented. I need to restore the issue tracker functionality so these things can be noted there.

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 02:28:28 am »

No problem for me, guys....just worrying about a wart.  Agreed about lawyers....unless they work for Pearson Hardman.  (I watch too much TV!!)  :D

KelvinNZ

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 03:13:35 am »

Well as I said in Outerra it would be technically a control scheme, one of many, not a specific mode. Could be even handled by the aircraft script itself, since possibly the parameters of that conversion could be different for each, I don't know. Yes, it can be implemented. I need to restore the issue tracker functionality so these things can be noted there.

I tried to access it earlier today and the page had an error. You obviously know about it. It would be good to submit issues there and would keep the forum tidy.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 03:17:56 am »

The tracker was the cause of the website unavailability recently, we must move it to a different host.