Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Is there a plan or possibility of procedural cloud formations like this?  (Read 8450 times)

Simbuilder5

I've been looking into this new coming engine called NighT Engine. I've been wondering is procedural clousds like this:
possible?

Midviki

• Nothing matters... but everything is important.
Re: Is there a plan or possibility of procedural cloud formations like this?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 08:41:21 pm »

Hmmm.. they don't look so shiny. And where is the "cloud" from the cloud? It was like there were not even making shade, not even one bit. And they where moving too fast, they didn't looked to real, they where moving like the wind was blowing with 300 km/h.Slower would be probably better.But they where looking just like some "shiny" worthless things :), they must have shade!!! :D
ATI AMD RADEON HD 6670

Jagerbomber

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 08:55:11 pm »

Hmmm.. they don't look so shiny. And where is the "cloud" from the cloud? It was like there were not even making shade, not even one bit. And they where moving too fast, they didn't looked to real, they where moving like the wind was blowing with 300 km/h.Slower would be probably better.But they where looking just like some "shiny" worthless things :), they must have shade!!! :D

I bet you can't make better ones... ::)
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 09:41:18 pm »

I always keep my expectations low so when features come out I am blown away. Like the first time I saw the 3d Grass. And that was when it looked horrible.. I was still awe-struck.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 12:27:15 am »

Those are nice looking clouds, but I'm not too sure of their generation and flow algorithms.  Clouds don't normally look so lively.  Given the fractal approach that Brano is taking, I think something similar is likely, but I leave it to him to share his plans.  I'll bet they will be as awesome as the rest of the Outerra engine.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 12:59:55 am »

Yea kind of look like from a low-fps anime, changing shape too fast in comparison to their speed.

What worries me about our clouds, or about a global cloud coverage on a spherical world in general, is how to move the generated shapes along the wind patterns without distortions at the boundaries. It seems to me that to get it all working on a global scale one would have to account for a lot more than just the cloud shapes - the high/low pressure fronts, boundaries where they meet, how the winds behave there ... I'll tell you, making OT involves a lot of studying of the natural sciences, something I didn't expect back then in the classroom :)

Jagerbomber

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 05:08:38 pm »

lol
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 08:48:31 pm »

Now you know how a god must feel!  ;)

traumstrand5

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 04:11:58 am »

Yea kind of look like from a low-fps anime, changing shape too fast in comparison to their speed.

What worries me about our clouds, or about a global cloud coverage on a spherical world in general, is how to move the generated shapes along the wind patterns without distortions at the boundaries. It seems to me that to get it all working on a global scale one would have to account for a lot more than just the cloud shapes - the high/low pressure fronts, boundaries where they meet, how the winds behave there ... I'll tell you, making OT involves a lot of studying of the natural sciences, something I didn't expect back then in the classroom :)

... nothing never easy at all for sure.  ;)
Try to see it positively Cameni:
Even the greatest weather add-ons for various flightsims still don't get it all 100%. Sure they offer a lot - seriously no doubt about that, and yet:
It is - and will most likely be - still a compromise.
Never the less i like programms such as Active Sky or REX for FSX -  i am quite sure You know them too.
They are both offering real useful weather-engines.
The only serious problem they have though are the limitations that they are dictated into by FSX, but besides that they offer some quite fine "real weathers".
Not certain about the weather in X-Plane 10 now though, as i don't have it running currently.
Anyways Cameni - You will certainly get some propper weathers for OT.
Can't wait to see clouds dancing in the sky, enjoy their shadows on the ground, some sunny day, some grey day, getting lost in some foggy area or snowstorm, listen to the raindrops and winds and anything else weather has to offer!
Keep it coming!
 :)

XZS

• Outerra Supporter!
    • LBQ3TS - French Youtube Poop
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 05:53:21 am »

Well, you can try and use this free technology. The clouds looks just amazingly realistic.

Bad news is you've got to do it manually each time.
Burn a book, save a tree.
LBQ3TS - French Youtube Poop

Steve.Wilson

• Home Cockpit Builder
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 12:39:49 pm »

X-Plane still has the ability to download METAR information from freely available sources.  The current weather system has a look that one either loves or hates.  The blending between reporting stations is probably the likely challenge as one goes from a location on the surface out into space.  However....it's a start!