Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Anteworld Demo cannot "Initialize World"  (Read 3673 times)

Uberdoodle

Anteworld Demo cannot "Initialize World"
« on: April 14, 2013, 12:34:11 pm »

Hey! I downloaded this demo months ago and forgot all about it. When I launch Anteworld, everything goes well until the "initializing the world..." step, where it stays indefinitely (as far as I can tell).

I do have an Ivy Bridge Processor, however on my laptop I have the discrete GPU profile set for Anteworld (and I've tried  shift right clicking Anteworld and select "Run with Graphics Processor > Nvidia 640M LE" ). My drivers are up to date.

As the program is running in the "Initializing the World" step, the memory used by Anteworld increases steadily (according to task manager), which made me think the program was actually still running, so I'd let it run for longer. And looking at the eng.log, the line that is repeated that reads "DEBUG: webview update: 136,47,48,48" was repeated over 6600 times (I had to remove the majority of them, as the file size was too large). My guess is that is where it's stuck, as I generally leave "Initializing World" up for a decent amount of time before I close out of it, giving it time to repeat whatever it is that represents.

My eng.log file is attached, as it is causes my post to go over the 20,000 word limit.
I really appreciate the help!

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Anteworld Demo cannot "Initialize World"
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 03:07:52 pm »

Hmm, the debug message is actually a failed assertion from embedded browser, that appears in some cases when an UI window has problems displaying the content. But there should be no window at that stage ..

Here are some things to try, please run outerra after each:
- go to outerra data directory (C:\Users\Nathan\Outerra\) and delete world.cfg and eng.cfg as well as campos\earth\default.cam files there
- disable/kill Lenovo Oneky Theater process

The problem being stuck at "initializing the world" is that OT is waiting until the terrain is refined for the first time, but sometimes for various reasons the condition for being refined is never met. In the development build I've put a timeout that should help with it, if none of the above helps.

Uberdoodle

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 03:39:46 pm »

Success!

I had already deleted world.cfg and eng.cfg as suggested in other posts to no avail, but apparently deleting default.cam was what was needed.

I'm really grateful for your assistance, and I wish you the best of luck not only in development but also in life! (Development is life... right?)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 04:22:09 pm »

I think we need to block any movement until the terrain is refined. The only way the default camera can get to an odd position is while you wait for initialization and press some keys. Perhaps it didn't work properly previously for another reason, but still managed to save new (bad) position at exit, and that in turn ruined it for this version.

Thanks for your kind words :)