Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Noob Importer Questions  (Read 3319 times)

monks

Noob Importer Questions
« on: May 07, 2013, 06:25:00 pm »

Ok, silly question. When you import a building model, how do you know where it's going to be, how do you place it? I've not tried importing any models yet so I don't have a clue how the interface works.

Getting my head around that, I was also wondering whether you could export a terrain area from Outerra- say into Max - ?? I'm wondering how you would prepare the terrain to receive models. I'm guessing that there is no way to import and replace areas of terrain...? I know you'd need to reproduce the small scale run time fractals that OT does.

I read that you can level an area using the road tool and leave the texture unchanged- that sounds like the other easier option.

Also, is there a Photoshop plugin for converting between dds format?

monks
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:28:32 pm by monks »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Re: Noob Importer Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 01:55:07 am »

First try to place the existing buildings somewhere via the builder window (controls are described in the help tab there). Imported models behave in the same way, import once, place multiple times.

No export of terrain out of OT. The terrain can be leveled automatically, for larger scale leveling there will be a different tool.

I'm using GIMP dds plugin which can save in all DDS formats, so I guess there's something similar for Photoshop as well.

monks

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 04:42:03 am »

ok cool, I've looked at the help tab. Does the pivot point you create in the importer have any relation to the pivot point in the model? Or is it Outerra's own pivot?
 I'll try import and place something simple to start with, an untextured building, and then I'm going to try out modelling and texturing something real basic like a rock.

monks

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 05:53:11 am »

I think those pivots will match. You place the pivot on terrain, and the object's pivot will match with it when placed.