Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: mph on hud!  (Read 6124 times)

bugsblake

• jedi master
mph on hud!
« on: June 09, 2013, 11:14:44 am »

hi. was just looking at the hud and wondered if i could change the kph to mph..

but then i looked again and saw there is only 1 item on the right side of the hud (speed kph) and 2 on the left!

so i wondered if i can ask for it to be added under kph in a later update, sure it would be an easy thing to do!

anyways if other like the idea let it be known and maybe it will be added! i knocked up a quick little pic of what im saying! ;)
Intel 6 core i7 Xeon - 4930k @3.40 GHz
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO
Patriot 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
SSD 250GB + SATA 500GB + SATA 1TB

Jagerbomber

Re: mph on hud!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 01:56:19 pm »

Cameni thinks MPH is crazy talk  ;D
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 02:31:11 pm »

lmao! :D well i like the idea! think a lot of others would too! so how about it camni? :)
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 02:31:51 pm »

I have no problem with MPH, other than it needs coding :)
When I get there, I will have it configurable - a custom name, a custom multiplier (from m/s, of course). Just as anybody can make a car that shows speed as number of fallen trees per time it takes Scotsman to drink a pint of ale, anyone should be able to use their desired units on the HUD as well. But internally, API wise, there will be just one type of units used by the physics, because it would be hell otherwise.

Actually, the whole HUD thing is going to be configurable in the future, since there are custom HUDs in many aircraft that need a universal approach.

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 03:40:34 pm »

sounds good! more to look forward to! :D
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO

KelvinNZ

• A clock that doesn't work still works twice a day!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 03:44:31 pm »

IMHO, My thinking is that although this is showing elements of a game right now (kind of) we expect to see everything that is included in one. But, we know this is a rendering engine so it is the API or ability to customize that we could place more attention on. That way, in the future, you can say to yourself "well now I can create a car gauge that has the unit of measurement that I want to use" rather than it being embedded with only one UOM. Remember the devs are making this engine so it can be plugged into later on and who knows the extent to which Outerra will reach with possibilities given you can create your own "stuff".
If a man who cannot count finds a four-leaf clover, is he lucky?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 07:16:43 pm »

The question being when cars will be able to come with their own custom UI's like this.

Some transparent texture and coded needles and indicators. Unique per car will be a first I think.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 09:13:00 am »

... if standardized, it could just need the proper transparent-able textures and some script mod for its placing at the monitor ... maybe the importer could in the future hawe some tweak for vehicles in this direction ...
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

bugsblake

• jedi master
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 09:44:03 am »

i think need for speed shift had a speedo hud like that when you switched to the bumper view or bonnet cam! cant remember and dont have the game anymore! looks good though! ;)
GTX 770 4GB X2 in SLI
Asus P9X79 Extreme MOBO

Pyroman31FF

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 07:00:45 am »

For cars that might be ok but militairy aircraft post ww2 use kph or knots (kts).
The MiG would use kph an m for height, if it would be natoisized it would be kts and ft.

(feet is an incredibly useless measure, believe me!)

Denime

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 06:51:04 pm »

I'd like to chip in on this. If a mph indication of speed wouldn't be too difficult to add I'd appreciate it. Being from the UK distances are all still in miles so it would help a lot.