Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: What are the plans for this engine?  (Read 11075 times)

Adam

What are the plans for this engine?
« on: December 23, 2010, 06:30:17 pm »

As a long time fan and player of Garry's Mod, I can't help but to be in absolute AWE of the possibilities of this engine in a sandbox game.

I'm curious, and I'm sorry if I missed this posted somewhere else.. what are the plans for this engine?  Free?  Commercial?  Both?

You guys have done an outstanding job on this, and I'm really enjoying watching it progress.

P.S. Hi Zeos

RaikoRaufoss

• Blood may move the wheels of history, but only our cunning keeps the wheels oiled.
    • http://www.sabaton.net/
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 06:34:41 pm »

Welcome here!  We're in the middle of making a FAQ section, but for now, there's the possibility of an Earth re-colonization game to showcase the engine.
Far from the fame
Far away from the fame
But we still remember your name
Karel JanouĊĦek
We mourn the day that you died
So be our guide
CZECHOSLOVAKIA'S PRIDE!!!!!!

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 07:05:17 pm »

http://www.outerra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=201

This is, for now, the best topic to answer your basic question.  As Raiko said, the fan community is currently working on a FAQ for Outerra to help take the load off the developers.  It's a slow process at the moment because the engine isn't currently in a state to address the many and varied interests in it, although it's getting closer, and we're still coming across very unique questions that will have to be addressed in some fashion (every day there is a new and unique question that is not expected or predicted).  The fact that the "Game" thread has finally appeared, however, shows the engine is maturing enough to a point where we as a community can, in some small way, help drive the engine ... or more specifically, the game that will be eventually developed to showcase the engine in all its glory.  The Game itself is designed to generate interest in the engine, for varied other applications and games.  In the end, it's just the first step in other developers taking the engine to the next level, so to speak.

The best answer to your basic question (free, commercial, etc) is best defined as "a little of both."  If the devs continue along their indie development plan, there will be a fee, but upgrades will come into the pricing structure as more or less free upgrades (subject to reconsideration, of course ... the game design doc in the thread above explains their initial thoughts much more succinctly than I can).  This engine has such a wide-variety of potential applications that it's hard to really pinpoint where it's going at the moment, other than taking in it's simplistic beauty.  And, I think and firmly believe, this will be Outerra's single greatest selling point.

So, sit back, join the discussions, offer your ideas (Outerra devs are uncharacteristically open to new ideas), and engage the community.

Out of my 10 years on the internet, with the exception of one or two other website communities, this has been the most pleasurable experience I've had, ever.  Cameni and Angrypig, as well as all the lesser known other players in the dev team, have created a wonderful community here.
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Adam

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 07:29:00 pm »

Wow, much more of a reply than I was expecting, thank you.

I was sort of hoping for something along the lines of..
- Free developer license (non-distribuable, watermarks/etc)
- Inexpensive non-commercial indie license (redistributable, but not for profit, maybe ~$100-200)
- Maybe something in between here
- Full Commercial license ($$$$$)

But it sounds like any and all pricing/licensing options are far from set in stone at this point.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 07:50:20 pm »

Quote from: Obi Wan Kenobi
You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Oh wait, wrong website :D.  You'll find that most of us here love the newcomers to the engine, despite the many questions that get asked and answered over and over again.  Most of us are willing to help, answer questions, and make new friends :)
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 10:05:03 pm »

Hey beer. Welcome. Yeah I have been pushing the Gmod angle a bit but having the main parts of the engine completed first is key. It is after all an engine designed to recreate the earth and isn't related to physics at all as Gmod and the Source engine are. Try not to bring all of facepunch here just yet!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo