Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: wheel/joystick support?  (Read 15791 times)

Lucas

wheel/joystick support?
« on: February 23, 2011, 07:28:20 pm »

i was wondering if there will be support for g25/g27 for driving and a joystick for flying?

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
wheel/joystick support?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 12:12:42 am »

Cameni has mentioned the demo or game will fully support pretty much any input device. Getting Force Feedback to work might be the more poignant question.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Lucas

wheel/joystick support?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 01:32:22 am »

Awesome.. Force feed back wouldn't be necesary to be honest but it would be nice to have if it wasnt to difficult

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
wheel/joystick support?
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 01:47:24 am »

I tried to play the game.. MotorM4X with no FFB. It was an off-roading game and completely useless without it. Same goes for Rigs or Rods. I actually uninstalled both because of it.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Lucas

wheel/joystick support?
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 02:45:14 am »

Yes I also have played MotorM4X with no FFB and it's was not good at all rigs of rods I can deal with no FFB

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
wheel/joystick support?
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 09:35:59 am »

I've got only an old Genius wheel with vibrations (not using them though), but I guess there's more to it. How does a proper FFB wheel feel like, anyway?

Lucas

wheel/joystick support?
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 10:45:10 am »

Well i have a g27 and lets say you skid sideways in a car it will have a tendincie to counter steer and you definately feel that..and you really know what kind of surface you are on based on if the wheel shajes and is easy to turn all directions. Or on pavement its is harder to steer left and right when not moving

Jagerbomber

wheel/joystick support?
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 12:45:56 pm »

FFB in GT5 is incredible.  :cool:
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Lucas

wheel/joystick support?
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 01:22:01 pm »

Live for speed also has amazing ffb

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
wheel/joystick support?
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 01:42:56 pm »

It may be a good investment in our future to collect some cash and buy you a proper wheel Cameni.

Good FFB is generated from the geometry of the steering components of a car. Specifically the steering links.

Best shown on the entire internet by this RC car and the Brown tubes. They are in charge of pushing the Yolkes the wheels are attatched to left and right to steer the car.

Some description of forces would be...
If sitting perfectly still and trying to turn the steering wheel with proper FFB you would feel resistance as you are trying to turn static rubber wheels against pavement (or grass or sand) and that resistance would differ based on the materials the tire was on.

As the car begins to roll forward the static resistance would quickly fall away and be taken over by the cars suspension CASTER.

This is the vertical angle the wheel is dragged behind the steering axis. You would probably know it better from a shopping cart wheel.

That geometry tries to force the front wheels of the car strait. Therefore the Steering wheel will have the force pulling it to the center. The faster you move the stronger the force trying to straiten the wheels.

Bumps and gradient changes while driving would have the FFB wheel pulling and jerking. Usually a small amount but with off-roading as severe as outerra I could imagine some more severe jerking..

My favorite FFB effect comes in the form of driving WAY too fast over a crest of a hill. If the wheels have less pressure on them making contact with the road the FFB will go light or even completely loose as your wheels leave the ground. This is usually followed by a sharp return to center as the weight of the car is magnified from falling and the front end smashes down to the surface again.

Also locking your front brakes from braking too hard has the effect of removing the return to center feel and replacing it with just neutral shaking as a rolling wheel that is no longer rolling cant use any steering geometry. It just drags along the ground.

I may come back and edit this as this post might be the most important post I have ever written. No Joke.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
wheel/joystick support?
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 03:46:40 pm »

Thanks Zeos for the extensive post. I was aware of the feedback effect in cars, though I never considered it in such detail :)
Good to have it in one place though.

But I was specifically interested to hear how well FFB wheel hardware can replicate it, given that my only experience is with a vibrating wheel - a useless thing.

OGREMAN

wheel/joystick support?
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 05:36:00 pm »

That is a very nice explanation of the castor/yolk steering forces Zeos, cool.
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
wheel/joystick support?
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 08:36:09 pm »

Quote from: cameni
I was specifically interested to hear how well FFB wheel hardware can replicate it, given that my only experience is with a vibrating wheel - a useless thing.

In my opinion the G25, G27, any Fanatec wheel or the new T500 can do a much better job transferring the force and nuance from a virtual steering rack to a driver than its real mechanical counterpart can.

[youtube]IjhVBqm4Dtc[/youtube]