Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Outerra Year 2010 Retrospective Video  (Read 23945 times)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Outerra Year 2010 Retrospective Video
« on: December 26, 2010, 02:38:57 pm »

Our friend from Texas, artist and science-fiction writer born under nickname of C. Shawn Smith, made this nice compilation from pieces of our published and some unpublished videos created during the year 2010.

Outerra 2010 Retrospective

[youtube2]SeoT_cz2nC0[/youtube2]

Thanks Shawn, and happy New Year to all our fans and supporters all around the world!

razgriz 53992

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 02:45:15 pm »

Brilliant video, well done Shawn :D I loved watching the unreleased stuff, it's always great watching a new video.

Just shows how far, graphically, this engine has got. It's a great compilation of the best parts of this development this year.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 04:08:15 pm »

Thanks :).  It was great fun.  I'd been thinking about this for a while, and started preliminary work on it just for fun while learning my video software.  I sent a personal request to Cameni, along with a sample link to the first video.  It's gone through eight different iterations to get here, but there's a couple of tweaks I really should have done.  But you get to a point where you go blind staring at the hour-long rendering process :).  Not to mention my harddrive filled up VERY fast collecting these videos.  Now comes the long process of backing them up to DVD and freeing up some space  :(

It's a little on the long side, but for the retrospective I figured it best to include a few extra clips, especially the few that were better versions of other videos.

Happy New Year!

*Edit* Oh, and I meant to add one more thing.  In another thread I mentioned it would be cool to have a voice whisper the name "Outerra" at the end of a video.  Well, I finally managed to meet up with a very sweet friend who said she'd be willing to do it.  I was hoping I'd be able to get it done in time for the video release, but it won't be until sometime late January or early February before I can.  Her schedule is extremely hectic, and she doesn't have access to a good microphone in order to record it.  Hopefully, it'll add another hook in any future videos :)
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 09:20:42 pm »

Very nice stuff. I would have totally broken all the copyright laws and put some AC/DC over it instead of the same song from the Apache, but if you want to use it as a promotional item I guess some rules must be followed.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 11:45:22 pm »

lol, AC/DC would have been good :).  I didn't really want to use the Apache track.  I had Royalty Free stock music on my other computer, which ended up suffering a bad virus that wrecked my Windows registry (and then a series of hardware failures killed the drives altogether).  Still slowly recovering that computer in hopes I may still be able to salvage some of the files.

But out of the few I had on this computer, none really fit.  I put the Apache track in there as a placeholder, but it actually worked, so I used it.  The Cessna track would have worked decently, but I think the video needed something a little more intense than that.

OGREMAN

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 06:56:21 am »

That is a lovely composition Shawn, A pleasure to watch... thank you and warmest seasons greetings from me to all you fans and hard working Outerra Dev Team.
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.
\"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun;  The frumious Bandersnatch!\"

Dunlop

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 12:26:04 pm »

This is the video every game developer should see! Stunning scenery, catchy music, if this doesnt spark interest then what does? Thank you Shawn for the video, after all that trouble.  ;)

Jagerbomber

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 12:31:10 pm »

Oh man, if I were to loop the beat that plays like from 2:00 to 2:05, I could listen to it at max volume all day!  :cool:
I wish they did that for the actual song file instead of like cutting it off.

Awesome video.  I should get my friend to narrate it.  He's got a crazy awesome voice.  :P
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

razgriz 53992

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 12:44:00 pm »

Quote from: ZeosPantera
Very nice stuff. I would have totally broken all the copyright laws and put some AC/DC over it instead of the same song from the Apache, but if you want to use it as a promotional item I guess some rules must be followed.

+1 to the music taste  ;)

Kridian

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 01:15:42 pm »

Love the score Rich Douglas did for Evochron.  (first 1:11 minutes) Maybe something along those lines?

[youtube]P16VleqE-gI[/youtube]

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 02:37:51 pm »

I like the Evochron scores (I only played the demo for a little bit, but couldn't get into the game), and I tend towards those types of musical genres as well as classic rock.  I was originally imagining some sort of operatic piece that started slow, and then became more intense as the video got into the meat of the video clips.  There's one particular piece, the Carl Orff composed version of O Fortuna from Carmena Burana, that has really resonated with me over the years (I think it might have been part of the inspiration from the song played during The Phantom Menace Darth Maul vs Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan duel scene on Naboo) ... I wanted something similar to both pieces, but without access to the files on my hard drive, I couldn't find one that was royalty free or public domain :(.  (sorry, can't find a public sound file to O Fortuna off-hand, but I'm sure you'd know it almost immediately when you heard it)

I know Outerra needs to be careful with this kind of stuff, so I kept everything public domain or files that I (or they) had already purchased a license to.  Plus, since they didn't do the video, the copyright infringement would be solely on my head.

Hrmm ... I need to rethink doing this stuff  :o  :D

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 01:19:30 am »

If we are talking scores now. I would go Bear McCreary all the way. Shame Battlestar's writers weren't as good at writing as he is at composing.

[youtube]SlcUwUwjLrs[/youtube]

Real heavy stuff starts around 56 Seconds in.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

C. Shawn Smith

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 01:53:43 am »

As a HUGE fan of the latest BSG series, this was another soundtrack I considered :) (And I agree ... the soundtrack was much better than the series, although I enjoyed both for their respective parts).  Helo's soundtrack (I forget which particular one, but it was the one with the major drumbeats in the first season, when they were engaging in major battles) was one of my favorites, and is instrumental in a number of the project conceptions I'm working on at the moment.  Bump-ba-da-bump-ba.  Bump-ba-da-bumb-ba.  You'd probably remember which one I'm talking about ... wish I had access to the drive that contain the score from the series.  I'll have to reburn it now just because of this thread.

Hands down, I have to say that it is the best score for a TV series I've listened to in years.  I've been following some of the Lightwave forum tutorials from some of the guys instrumental in the special effects of the BSG series lately.  Learned a lot from them.  But none of them compare to the score.  The SFX in BSG were spectacular, but the score sold the shots.

Bartolomeus

• VirtualTechArt Design
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 05:35:07 pm »

Simply amazing video! It shows all the wonderful parts of the engine! Hope to see more from the water environment.  ;)

Marko

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 02:24:38 am »

I did a bit of creative audio swapping on Smith's video. I have both his and Cameni's permission to post it. I think I could do better. Maybe someone else can?

[youtube]zRgAb3l56d0[/youtube]

Maybe an Outerra video competition.