Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Shaky headtracker TrackIR (FreeTrack) after 3785  (Read 7355 times)

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
Shaky headtracker TrackIR (FreeTrack) after 3785
« on: August 04, 2013, 03:30:39 pm »

Been away for a couple of days and when i started Outerra it updated to a new version 3785. After this I'm getting very jittery headtracking trough freetrack. It worked as a charm the last time i had it up and running with the previous version. Was something changed regarding the head tracking in 3785 that might be causing this?

I checked in FreeTrack but the axis there are stable in the preview window, and I even over-did the FreeTrack stabilization multiplier to be sure.

Will continue to try to troubleshoot.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:45:52 pm by DivineSense »
Cognitive Scientist - VR Enthusiast - Immersion Junkie - UX Professional - Flight Sim Enthusiast - Amateur Musician - Amateur Actor - Semi-old Soul - Caffeine Addict - INFP

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
Re: Shaky headtracker (FreeTrack) after 3785
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 04:51:02 pm »

Confirmed a 3785 problem for me, did a reinstall and forceupdate to 3782 and it works as it should again. running on -nopdate now until further notice :)

Edit:I noted that the translation values did not work with 3785 either, (I mean the exaggeration of tilt-roll-yaw). It was as if Outerra just used the raw values from the tracker without any filtering from FreeTrack. (stabilizing et.c.). Don't know if that helps troubleshooting the bug, if it is a bug.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 06:31:33 pm by DivineSense »
Cognitive Scientist - VR Enthusiast - Immersion Junkie - UX Professional - Flight Sim Enthusiast - Amateur Musician - Amateur Actor - Semi-old Soul - Caffeine Addict - INFP

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 01:55:18 am »

Yes it's using the raw values, because the filtered ones are also clamped for some reason when using with ArUco. I need to find a way how to detect it & switch.

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 02:39:48 am »

Oh, I see. So Aruco support was added in 3785 which caused the change in behavior for head tracking? I mean since 3782 works without any problem. (I'm no expert here, just curious :) )

I hope you find a workaround cause unfiltered values are kind of useless for us poor buggers without hmd's ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:44:04 am by DivineSense »

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 04:19:18 am »

Regarding 6DOF for the Rift, I would assume the gyros will be updated to support that in the very near future. I just read about the emotiv insight EEG-headset on kickstarter (I used their old headset at work) and they are probably going to include 8 or 12bit 6DOF gyros in that, so I don't see why the Rift guys wouldn't :). My point simply being that this "problem" with the rift is probably going to go away pretty soon. Still cool that it can be tweaked this way of course.

By the way, in case auto detection of freetrack type seems problematic, just give us a little button in the menu to change from raw values to filtered :)

Oh, and why not include support for the EEG-headset in Outerra too, for headtracking and - emotion-tracking. Change weather type or time of day depending on emotional state. I did some interfacing with emotiv's sdk in the past, It's pretty fun to play around with.

Keep up the fantastic work!

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 11:51:21 am »

The Freetrack implementation seems to still use raw values in 4086 despite the following changelog:

Version 0.7.17.3937
filtered freetrack coordinates (note: needs to configure the center in opentrack)

So how do I use filtered coordinates? Do I need to select something?

I'm using FreeTrack 2.2

foobie42

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 02:07:31 am »

With opentrack the Accela mk3 filter with translation filter value of 30-60 and rotation value of 50-80.

Don't know about original FT software.

Select PT as tracker source.

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 11:12:27 am »

I'm using the trackIR camera and it does not seem to be supported by opentrack, I have to use an older version of freetrack (2.2). The TrackIR worked flawlessly in outerra using freetrack in 3782 until support for aruco tracking for occulus seem to have broke the code for it. Now TrackIR is useless because there is no filtering of the axis. only 1:1 mapping. :(

I wish there was a setting to enable the old tracking code to work like in 3782 for us with trackIR cameras.

foobie42

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 11:17:31 am »

@cameni:

Please don't use the raw headpose anymore, use standard headpose for freetrack.

I've removed raw headpose support because it changes the API/ABI for every tracker and is only necessary for few purposes...

Additionally, we have dedicated filtering setup in opentrack. As such, there's very little need for getting raw headpose...

TrackIR cameras will never be supported by opentrack.

Edit: if you'd allow for using Rift with opentrack, as in, disabling Rift tracking on your own software optionally, it'd be great. We're using SDK version 0.2.5.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:19:15 am by foobie42 »

foobie42

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 11:24:08 am »

I'm using the trackIR camera and it does not seem to be supported by opentrack, I have to use an older version of freetrack (2.2). The TrackIR worked flawlessly in outerra using freetrack in 3782 until support for aruco tracking for occulus seem to have broke the code for it. Now TrackIR is useless because there is no filtering of the axis. only 1:1 mapping. :(

I wish there was a setting to enable the old tracking code to work like in 3782 for us with trackIR cameras.

You can use the unofficial TIR4/5 plugin for Outerra.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 11:46:15 am »

Seems I removed usage of raw positions, but forgot to remove them for angles. Also, I'm using raw values to detect if the tracker is live (all zeroes), since there's apparently no other way to test it.

You can disable Rift in OT while still using freetrack interface to provide both position and orientation. Also, you can write a custom tracker plugin.
Latest version is using Oculus 0.2.5 SDK too.

Foobie's TrackIR plugin is here http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=2203.0

foobie42

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 12:01:02 pm »

Checking for raw values is fine, just please don't reset view to origin. It causes the same problem:

https://sourceforge.net/p/facetracknoir/discussion/1150909/thread/8771c92d/?limit=25

Note that I can't test your stuff presently due to not dual booting anymore :(

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 12:21:30 pm »

I'd not have to reset the origin, if the filtered values weren't clamped. That makes the range very limited.

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 09:57:17 am »

Cameni, thank you. I'll try the plugin for TIR! Let's hope it works!

It's been a bit frustrating since something that used to work fine didn't work anymore :) And I really like using the TIR for flying.

Edit: no go. As soon as i use freetrack 2.0 i get the same shaky tracking without translation in outerra in the splash screen star-field as before. And then when i click start to start outerra with the trackir plugin installed it just crashes a second after loading the scenery.  :'(

Oh I miss the old 3782 build where I just started freetrack 2.2 and my TIR would work without any problems...

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 05:46:30 pm by DivineSense »