Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: @AngryPig: Questions about material settings  (Read 6983 times)

necro

• google+ Blog
@AngryPig: Questions about material settings
« on: August 07, 2013, 11:53:42 am »

Hello guys,
especially angrypig.

Today i gonna working on some cool metal materials. I know that metal materials arent finished yet. But maybe they dont need to be to get my expected result.
Lets have a look at the following image. As you can see i am trying to catch the material settings like in the right image. This is a screenshot of the unigine benchmark. The left one is what i got so far.

I worked with the information of the wiki entry of outerra materials ([size=78%]http://xtrac.outerraworld.com/trac.fcgi/wiki/material[/size]) and so i know that toying around with the Ax should give me control about the metalish look of the material.

This is my material setting for the metal:

Code: [Select]

{
      "name" : "Metal_001",
      "diffuse" : "163,163,163,255",
      "Ax" : "207",
      "Ay" : "7",
      "m" : "127",
      "tex_diffuse" : "roof_diff.dds",
      "tex_normal" : "roof_nrm.dds",
      "tex_env" : "roof_ref.dds",
      "tex_opacity" : "",
      "tex_reflectance" : "roof_ref.dds"
}
Here are my textures:

I took the textures as i understand them. Please correct the setup if you know more than me. I dont really know how a reflection map has to look like. As i understand the reflection is just the color of that texture scaled by Ax. So actually i should get the goldish reflection. But my reflection ingame is silverish what makes sense because my Ax is ~ 0.81.

So angrypig, brano told me that you are the god of materials. Please enlighten me.

Edit:
I forget to post a screenshot with low sun settings. So here it is:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 01:12:55 pm by necro »

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Re: @AngryPig: Questions about material settings
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 12:31:59 pm »

These screenshots need to be BIGGER! They look damn good as is but if you want them better. I am all for it.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

Bartolomeus

• VirtualTechArt Design
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 12:54:50 pm »

Great looking materials! Nice work! :)

Marko

PytonPago

• It´s way too complex, dont let me try to explain !
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 01:03:37 pm »

Nice feel for materials !
We are still undeveloped as long as we don´t realize, that all our science is still descriptive, and than beyond that description lies a whole new world we just haven´t even started to fully understand.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 01:14:10 pm »

Ok, i took the big images. On this scale you see that the materialsettings doesnt work like i want.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 04:03:12 pm »

One thing that maybe people miss there: the values of Ax, Ay and m are multiplied by 0..1 values from the corresponding textures. If you have m = 127 (which is equivalent to m ≈ 0.5), then you are basically limiting the values of m to range 0 .. 0.5. Usually, when you have a texture for given parameter, you set the multiplier in material to 255 (or 1.0).

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 01:57:39 am »

Makes sense. I fixed that but it doesnt make a big difference. I guess my textures are wrong (but diffuse and normal)

angrypig

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 03:08:28 am »

You are using "reflection" texture for roughness and reflectance (tex_env is for roughness) but those are completely different things. Ax/reflectance texture tells what kind of material is there like plastic/metal/diamond, use 7 for common materials and 200 for metallic, this texture should be homogeneous, ~200 for copper and ~7 for rivets (you can add small variations +- 1-2, but it's not necessary). m/roughness texture 0 for mirror and 255 for perfectly matte material.

a few hints:
  • you should create the roughness texture from the diffuse texture not the normal map
  • make scratches darker to make them shine and oxidized places more brighter to be matte
  • negate the green channel in the normal map texture rivet heads should pop from the texture
  • the copper around rivets doesn't have to be deformed so tightly in the normal map
  • make shinny just rivet heads not the surroundings
  • if you use real values in the textures set Ax and m to 255 or 1.0

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 10:55:13 am »

Thank you angrypig. I will post my results here. This were the facts i was looking for.

necro

• google+ Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 02:27:23 am »

Good morning. It was possible to improve the material with angrypigs hints. Thank you for that. I had to rework the rivets. They are smaller and dont have deformations at the borders.

My material setup is now the following:

Code: [Select]

"name" : "Metal_001",
"diffuse" : "163,163,163,255",
"Ax" : "100",
"Ay" : "7",
"m" : "255",
"tex_diffuse" : "metal_diff.dds",
"tex_normal" : "metal_nrm.dds",
"tex_env" : "metal_env.dds",
"tex_opacity" : "",
"tex_reflectance" : "metal_ref.dds"

For faking the metallish illusion i cannot take 200 for Ax. This would be result in a chromium like appearance. Setting it to 100 gives some good results. Which you can see here:

Just the color of the reflection is not as i expected. I made it yellowish, but it just reflects the sun. So its white over the day and goldish at dusk and dawn. I read somewhere, that the color of the reflectionmap controls the color of the reflection, if someone doesnt want the normal sun reflection color. So i guess, i could make my reflection map even grey and the result would be similar.