Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: NaturalFail TrackIR 4/5 support in Outerra!  (Read 16429 times)

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
Re: NaturalFail TrackIR 4/5 support in Outerra!
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 06:48:54 am »

I can confirm the new build works for me! Outerra starts up fine, the shakyness is gone and the translation values for the axis works!
I get a crash when i exit outerra now, but at least that's not as big of a problem :) The crash causes resolution changes to not be saved.

Thank you thank you thank you!  :) :) :D You guys are awesome

I'm using: TrackIR4 Camera, vector hat clip (the 3 point thing), Freetrack 2.2 on Windows 32-bit with a gtx660 running latest nvidia drivers.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 06:53:12 am by DivineSense »
Cognitive Scientist - VR Enthusiast - Immersion Junkie - UX Professional - Flight Sim Enthusiast - Amateur Musician - Amateur Actor - Semi-old Soul - Caffeine Addict - INFP

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 07:29:21 am »

Okay, next issue I did not immediately realize.

The head position xyz seems to be affected by pitch tilt and yaw.

When I look to the sides, my head position moves forward, when i look down my head position moves back. (for example back and out trough the roof of the cessna ;), when i look up my head position seems to move down and forward.

In freetrack I can see that the head is still in the same postition, but in outerra it is not.

I tested both Freetrack 2.2 and Trackir5 software. Same issue.
The X-axis is also inverted (can be selected as inverted in freetrack as a workaround)

I made a video of this behavior. Centering the view in freetrack did not help. Moving the mouse around to different positions and then centering again seems to affect the issue as well but I have not managed to figure out how.

Please let me know if i can help you troubleshoot further
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:40:07 am by DivineSense »
Cognitive Scientist - VR Enthusiast - Immersion Junkie - UX Professional - Flight Sim Enthusiast - Amateur Musician - Amateur Actor - Semi-old Soul - Caffeine Addict - INFP

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 08:11:17 am »

In freetrack I can mimic the behavior by selecting "Relative Translation", which raises the head position when i look down provided I'm behind the origin.

Some further troubleshooting and some of this seems to have to do with the model position in freetrack and trackir software being exaggerated in Outerra.

Default values in freetrack seems to be Hor 0mm Vert 160mm and depth -70mm. I have to set all these values close to zero to balance out the effect.

Overall it seems the axis movement and head position is really exaggerated in Outerra, compared to how other programs translate them. I have to set the sensitivity really low for the tracker to be useable. Translated values are in a few mm, but i get large movements in Outerra.

I hope this tells you something, unfortunately I'm not good at programming this stuff so I'm a bit clueless as to how it works.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:20:52 am by DivineSense »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 08:51:12 am »

I have no idea what the position units from TIR mean, and I found no docs or common usage patterns, so I just multiplied them with a constant, and expected people to pop up :)

Additionally, the head movement is simulated in OT as well, so it probably fights with the one from FT. Can't be turned off at the moment.

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 09:34:45 am »

Okay :) In that case the constant is a bit too large at the moment then, could explain why position changes are so huge.

The head movement is simulated? 

Bottom line, the TrackIR plugin needs some further tweaking before it works as well as 3782 did without any plugin :)
I can help testing new versions, perhaps foobie has some ideas as to what is wrong here.

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 10:09:25 am »

Bottom line, the TrackIR plugin needs some further tweaking before it works as well as 3782 did without any plugin :)
Now when you say 3782 worked better in this regard, that's odd, as the constant didn't change. OT tracker API expects the positions to be in meters, so basically it's all on the plugin - how it translates TIR protocol values into physical distances.

The built-in freetrack tracker uses K=0.001 multiplier for the positional data, I don't know if foobie changed it or if the tracker is providing different data than freetrack. I guess there's a separate scaling there somewhere.

foobie42

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 10:34:34 am »

cameni,

Crash on exit is not known to me. There's no destructor at all.

Here's code for translation compensation. Can you test, please? It might solve aforementioned pitch-down-translate-down problem:

Code: [Select]
            if (compensate)
            {
                const auto H = output_camera.axes[Yaw] * M_PI / 180;
                const auto P = output_camera.axes[Pitch] * M_PI / 180;
                const auto B = output_camera.axes[Roll] * M_PI / 180;

const auto cosH = cos(H);
                const auto sinH = sin(H);
                const auto cosP = cos(P);
                const auto sinP = sin(P);
                const auto cosB = cos(B);
                const auto sinB = sin(B);

double foo[] = {
                    cosH * cosB - sinH * sinP * sinB,
                    - sinB * cosP,
                    sinH * cosB + cosH * sinP * sinB,
                    cosH * sinB + sinH * sinP * cosB,
                    cosB * cosP,
                    sinB * sinH - cosH * sinP * cosB,
                    - sinH * cosP,
                    - sinP,
                    cosH * cosP,
                };

---------------

Didn't change any constants. I don't know, sorry. Need to test somehow...

---------------

Additionally we may want to try changing the game id to something else.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:46:01 am by foobie42 »

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 03:35:15 am »

I think we just need to turn off the head simulation in OT for trackers that provide positional data. It's there for the Rift, to deduce the head movement from angles for more natural behavior, but it should not be needed when there's a positional info.

DivineSense

• What is the Mind?
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 11:25:27 am »

That sounds like a good plan. Please let me know if i can help by testing something here on my end.

Memphis291

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 05:26:14 pm »

sorry for a stupid question, but where do I have to put the tir-trackir-plugin.dll? I can not find any describtion/readme that is telling me where to put it into

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 02:56:13 am »

Create a "plugins" directory in the OT install directory and put it there.
Pages: 1 [2]