Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Weather in Outerra  (Read 13112 times)

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Weather in Outerra
« on: December 29, 2010, 05:15:24 pm »

I was recently considering a few things, after Zeos' Water thread, as well as the one of the snow on the mountains, and some of the tidbits you provided.

Do you plan to have some sort of (for lack of a better phrase) "weather model" that will simulate more or less global weather patterns?  I know you've discussed a climate model, but I don't think we've heard a whole lot about weather.  Maybe I missed a thread though :)

Rain falling, snow, monsoons, hurricanes, the obscene number of tornadoes in Tornado Alley in the US ... could be a very cool and interesting feature.  Not to mention lightning with realistic thunder claps :)
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
Weather in Outerra
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 05:51:24 pm »

I think flight sim guys asked about it somewhere already. There is a possibility to use weather data from real time satellite sources. Maybe there's also a model that can be used to simulate it to some extent.

But it doesn't trouble me now, first we will have to make all the weather effects. No, the clouds are first.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
Weather in Outerra
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:25:23 pm »

On the 1,404 day.. God made volumetric clouds and began to work on the weather effects using the real time and land class weather data.. and it was good.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

geneb

Weather in Outerra
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 10:26:11 am »

Best. Quote. Ever.

g.

phase.iNERTIA

Weather in Outerra
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 12:57:49 pm »

Quote from: cshawnsmith
I was recently considering a few things, after Zeos' Water thread, as well as the one of the snow on the mountains, and some of the tidbits you provided.

Do you plan to have some sort of (for lack of a better phrase) "weather model" that will simulate more or less global weather patterns?  I know you've discussed a climate model, but I don't think we've heard a whole lot about weather.  Maybe I missed a thread though :)

Rain falling, snow, monsoons, hurricanes, the obscene number of tornadoes in Tornado Alley in the US ... could be a very cool and interesting feature.  Not to mention lightning with realistic thunder claps :)

There was another engine very similar to outerra called viewterra (a bit older) that our group was very interested in that had a bit more features such as dynamic weather, volumetric clouds, also features like snow/desert storms, tsunami's, etc. Though the graphics were a bit out dated.

I'm sure Outerra will most likely have the same features later on.

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
Weather in Outerra
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 02:16:24 pm »

An interesting engine, and only wets my appetite for Outerra even more :).  vieWTerra has most of the features I require for my project (actually it has it all), but you can tell the graphics are rather dated, as you said.  I'm surprised I didn't run across it when I was looking into procedurally generated world engines.

@Zeos  :lol:
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)