Outerra forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Outerra Tech Demo download. Help with graphics driver issues

Author Topic: Spongey Mouse  (Read 5254 times)

mctash

Spongey Mouse
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:56:48 am »

Hi all,

When you use the mouse to look around, does it feel "spongey"? By spongey I mean, if you move the mouse in a direction the camera continues to pan after you have stopped moving the mouse, almost like my pc is playing catch-up :) . I'm trying to work out if that's intentional or my machine needs an upgrade.

Also, how do you display the fps?

Jagerbomber

Re: Spongey Mouse
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:05:02 am »

I believe that's how it's designed at the moment.
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 11:16:15 am »

Also, how do you display the fps?
ctrl+F12

mctash

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:18:40 am »

thanks cameni

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 03:48:07 pm »

if you paid for the alpha you can press 8 and you go into a humanoid character's body and the spongy mouse smoothing goes away. You are also forced to walk or run around which takes considerably longer to do than flying!
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

C. Shawn Smith

• C. Shawn Smith's Art Gallery & Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 04:00:00 pm »

if you paid for the alpha you can press 8 and you go into a humanoid character's body and the spongy mouse smoothing goes away. You are also forced to walk or run around which takes considerably longer to do than flying!

On that note, it'll truly show you the massive scale of Outerra.  Start at a home location you're familiar with, press 8 and then g.  Using the map, walk to a location that you've walked to before in RL.  Time it.  Then, on a lark, start again at the original location, and walk to the nearest neighboring city.  Time that too.

TRULY real world scale here.

I generally make a 2.5 mile round-trip to a local eatery about once a week, on average, so I know exactly how long it takes me to get there and back.  I've done it in Outerra too ... time is almost exactly the same.  Then I decided to do a walk-about to a few neighboring cities ... I will not be doing that in RL  :o ;D
What we think, we become -- Buddha
There is no spoon -- Neo, The Matrix
The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
Outerra is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be. -- Me :)
- Yes, I'm still around ... just been busy with other projects ;)

Jagerbomber

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 04:44:29 pm »

Maybe it's just a FOV thing (how do I set that again?) or something else, but it seems to me like the current camera makes me feel like I'm a bit bigger than I should be or something like that (not just specifically with this human model we're talking about).  Anything that can be done?
"Perhaps this speaks to some larger trend within society today...  A prevailing desire on the part of indie developers to recreate the entire world into one where you can charge more than $15 for your game design degree coursework." - Yahtzee ;) :P

Éadríc

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 11:15:09 am »

I find I can quite promptly get a bit of a headache and slight nausea from roaming around in Anteworld and I think it's because of this spongey mouse business. I'm probably not the only one and I'm afraid this might repel a few people.

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 12:51:29 pm »

In UFO mode the spongey mouse can get annoying. It needs a tweak in the UI.. But worse is the walking look which has no momentum at all.
"Fear accompanies the possibility of death, Calm shepherds its certainty" - General Ka Dargo

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 11:20:17 am »

I've tried to adjust the timing constants for the UFO rotation filter, to minimize the spongeyness. Turning it off completely feels weird or even unpleasant for me, I've got no connection between the hand movement and what the head expects to perceive as the subsequent rotation, not sure this could be the source of the nausea.
But the default filter should be faster.

Éadríc

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 11:09:41 am »

Thanks, Cameni.

Not sure if I follow you, though. To me this 'delay' feels like being drunk. When I think of other games, like Mount & Blade Warband, movement and view seem to be perfectly synchronised...

cameni

• Brano Kemen
  • Outerra Administrator
  • No sense of urgency.
    • outerra.com
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 11:17:37 am »

There's a filter that makes the mouse rotation smoother, and its consequence is that the view rotates a tiny bit when you stop moving, overshoots. In the latest version I made it twice as fast, so if this is the effect you are talking about, you should feel better. But I'm unsure we are talking about the same thing, might be something else too.

Éadríc

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 12:25:52 pm »

Thanks Cameni. Yes, I was talking about this overshoot indeed. Warband has no noticeable overshoot...

ZeosPantera

• ||>>-Z-<<||
  • Global Moderator
  • #1 Outerra Fan Boy
    • My Youtube
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 12:43:06 pm »

I don't mind a bit of coast to give the players some "weight" but it needs to be either refined or made user definable so everyone can find their happy place.